Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cruise Ship With 1,300 People Disappears? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/121731-cruise-ship-1-300-people-disappears.html)

super termoli 02-03-2006 03:05 PM

Re: Cruise Ship With 1,300 People Disappears?

During the 1990/1991 refit, three decks were added to the superstructure. A few years ago, she was still operating out of Savona, just down the road from where I'm based and I used to go there to one of the shipyards for business. Every time I saw this thing I could not help but wonder what these additional decks did in terms of stability. If you start with the premise that the original design was valid and made for a ship with even outstanding stability, I cannot see what they could have done to her to keep the stability reasonable with as many decks thrown on purely as an afterthought. And yet, I cannot imagine that authorities would have allowed an unstable vessel to operate for over a decade. Afterall, a stability test and booklet is required to commercially register even a 60' yacht that will take 6 passengers, let alone a 400' ferry with 1500 people and 200+ vehicles aboard. Puzzling to say the least.

Ratman, you obviously don't share the feeling that this is quite a catastrophe. That's fine, you're entitled to your own opinion but if this is good news for you, it's maybe best to keep quiet about it as a gesture of goodwill towards those who do feel otherwise.

bcschoe 02-03-2006 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=super termoli] If you start with the premise that the original design was valid and made for a ship with even outstanding stability, I cannot see what they could have done to her to keep the stability reasonable with as many decks thrown on purely as an afterthought. And yet, I cannot imagine that authorities would have allowed an unstable vessel to operate for over a decade.

Super it is puzzeling.

Cruise ships are typically constructed to maximize revenue generating space and the idea to have so much "wasted" stability on the original construction seems unlikely. However, the intact and damage stability would have to be completely re-done,(Flag State) Panama I believe in this case would have to approve everything. When a cruise ship undergos major conversion the U.S. requires plan review and conduct oversight if they embark U.S. Passengers. I have done two conversions in Greece and the Med inter-island trade is quite interesting.

It is a terrible situation and it would be uncomfortable to find out the proper stability calcs were not accurate.

In regard to a decade of service if the vessel always sailed intact it would be fine, the problem would emerge with damage stability or subdivision.

dyno 02-03-2006 06:46 PM

a terrible trajedy!

Playn 02-03-2006 06:47 PM

I had heard the Egypt rejected Israel's offer of assistance but refused it. I'm sure those 1300 appreciate the jesture though...

super termoli 02-03-2006 07:07 PM

It now appears that RINA, the Italian registry had recently inspected the ship and renewed her class. I wonder whether RINA also did the stability calculations after the conversion? I am not familiar with Panama registry regulations but a RINA classification may be sufficient to get the ship registered there. Business between registries and classification societies is very shady indeed, which registry accepts what classification unfortunately depends more on business and commercial interests than on genuine safety concerns.

Without jumping to conclusions as we do not know what happened, some of these classification societies need to be straightened out or discredited. The last time RINA was in the news is because a tanker which they inspected and classed broke in half just off the French coast in the Channel and caused major coastline pollution.

bcschoe 02-03-2006 07:59 PM

RINA is an IACS member and the ultimate responsibility should rest with the Flag Administration.

I would never jump to a conclusion regarding such a tragedy and I do agree some flag/class relations ships are too convenient.

If a ship only sails between two ports and never has Port State Control oversight from another contracting government many deficiencies could go unresolved. Our inspection matrixes use many inputs to determine which vessels to inspect and some are what you mention.