Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
38 TG  vs  38 TG Lip Ship edition  help?? >

38 TG vs 38 TG Lip Ship edition help??

Notices

38 TG vs 38 TG Lip Ship edition help??

Old 02-04-2006, 04:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 38 TG vs 38 TG Lip Ship edition help??

Joe, I never said it wasn't money well spent.

I do understand what Phil seems to be doing and it is a very valuable service. On large new build projects as far as private yachts are concerned, an independent surveyor is usually appointed as a project supervisor. This person will follow the construction and make sure that no corners are cut, that the key stages of construction are properly executed, that the vessel is built in compliance with intented registry requirements, that the shipyard is sticking to contractual specifications, etc. This involvement can range from monthly trips to the shipyard when the yacht is a production item to situations where the supervisor actually moves to wherever the shipyard is, has an office in the shipyard and supervises things on a daily basis for very large, fully custom builds.

Thus, it can get very expensive for the owner as supervisor fees can run into hundreds of thousands of $. But it is money well spent as it will ensure that the owner is getting what he paid for and most importantly for this category of people, it significantly reduces downtime in the first couple of years of vessel operation, before all run-in gremlins are sorted out.

If the construction has been supervised by a very reputed expert, this often adds value to the final product. This is part of my business as well and Phil seems to be doing a very similar thing as far as Cigs are concerned. So I definitely respect that.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:46 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by super termoli
Joe, I never said it wasn't money well spent.

I do understand what Phil seems to be doing and it is a very valuable service. On large new build projects as far as private yachts are concerned, an independent surveyor is usually appointed as a project supervisor. This person will follow the construction and make sure that no corners are cut, that the key stages of construction are properly executed, that the vessel is built in compliance with intented registry requirements, that the shipyard is sticking to contractual specifications, etc. This involvement can range from monthly trips to the shipyard when the yacht is a production item to situations where the supervisor actually moves to wherever the shipyard is, has an office in the shipyard and supervises things on a daily basis for very large, fully custom builds.

Thus, it can get very expensive for the owner as supervisor fees can run into hundreds of thousands of $. But it is money well spent as it will ensure that the owner is getting what he paid for and most importantly for this category of people, it significantly reduces downtime in the first couple of years of vessel operation, before all run-in gremlins are sorted out.

If the construction has been supervised by a very reputed expert, this often adds value to the final product. This is part of my business as well and Phil seems to be doing a very similar thing as far as Cigs are concerned. So I definitely respect that.
No one is perfect however...

I have yet to see one of his with two speed Tri-Max and Diesels!!!
Old 02-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GLH
No one is perfect however...

I have yet to see one of his with two speed Tri-Max and Diesels!!!
Thanks for lunch yesterday.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GREEK LIGHTNING
Biggus thats stretching it.
Mike,

I remember how unhappy you were with your '03 Top Gun with the big Sterlings and Merc VI drives that you purchased from National Marine. You said yourself it was pretty much unusable, not set up correctly and sold it after 20 hrs.

I highly doubt that would ever happen with a Lip-Ship Edition. Phil goes the extra mile to make sure his boats are dialed in and his customers are happy.

Hope all is well,

Kurt
Old 02-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
OK, I am not well educated on the Cigs so help me out here, what is the difference between a 38 TG and 38 Lipship, and I mean hull, say engines/drives are same?? different layup? Weight? Paint?

Thanks
WILL
Will, just look at a Lip-Ship boat next to a standard Cig and you will immediately see the difference. Then run it and you'll feel the difference.

Example....The Cig that was on the cover of PBM a few months back was powered by 1075 Mercs and had a sticker of up near 800k. Phil built the same boat with less power (that ran faster) for nearly half the price.

And the snob thing....When you own the best performance boat on the market built by the best in the industry, you may have a bit of an attitude and pride about it!
Old 02-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GREEK LIGHTNING
Biggus, no amount of dialing in could have made that boat anything more than what it was. It was no ones fault. It was a turd. I had no business putting big power and SSM6's in a TS Top Gun. Neil at Cigarette did everything he could to discourage me but I was hard headed. Bill H. on the other hand saw dollar symbols and could care less what was produced.
What I meant from my earlier post was that you cant compare Phil to AMG. AMG builds the motors and practically assembles the vehicles and does all the R & D. I hardly think thightening bolts, some cosmetic work and some prop test place Phil in a comparison with AMG.
Not coming down on you but I think Neil's knowledge of the boats Neil builds runs circles around Phil. I dont think Cigarette would cut corners or not produce a product anyone of them wouldnt be proud to own. I've been around boating for a long time and have seen both Cigarettes purchased from other dealers and Cigarettes purchased from Phil. Phil does nothing more than what Neil could do and / or any owner custom ordering his boat.

Neill runs circles around Phil?? Think you should ask Neill who taught him what he knows..Hell tell you. Btw, Phillys blue 42 with 850s runs 108....How fast is your 42 with 1075s? Think you can thank cigarette for that...
Old 02-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Lip-Ship boats are generally faster, better looking, more detailed and definetely a cut above the standard Cig. Show me any 36 Gladiator or 38 Topgun or 39 Topgun that is better looking and more detailed than phils boats. You cant!
Old 02-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

TSG told me there is a 2003 Top Gun T/S on Grand Lake with 750 Sterlings. He said they spent the whole summer trying to get it running and when they finally did he said it only ran about 96mph. If you remember the August 2003 issue of powerboat, they tested a 2003 Top Gun T/S Lip-Ship Edition with 750 Zul's and it ran 105.4mph. Way to go Phil

LS JR.
"Lip-Ship Edition" family member
Attached Thumbnails 38 TG  vs  38 TG Lip Ship edition  help??-outofcontrol1.jpg  
Old 02-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
TSG told me there is a 2003 Top Gun T/S on Grand Lake with 750 Sterlings. He said they spent the whole summer trying to get it running and when they finally did he said it only ran about 96mph. If you remember the August 2003 issue of powerboat, they tested a 2003 Top Gun T/S Lip-Ship Edition with 750 Zul's and it ran 105.4mph. Way to go Phil

LS JR.
"Lip-Ship Edition" family member
Ahhhh, Kevins boat....That thing is bad azz!!!!
Old 02-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I put a LipShip sticker on my Gladiator it ran 2mph faster............ And Phily bought me lunch in St.Augustine!!!!!

Quick Reply: 38 TG vs 38 TG Lip Ship edition help??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.