Notices

Slander ??????

Old 07-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 280 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Slander ??????

Got a message from an OSO member telling me to beware about something I may or may not have said about a certain engine(s), which I appreciate very much. So how many people here on OSO have actually had charges brought up against them for slander regarding something they have said here on OSO. What did you say or not say? I was under the impression that comments member make regarding products and their experience with them was protected by free speech.

OSO/Steve - how many people come to you wanting personal information to bring charges of slander and/or other charges.

This scares the chit out of me. Do I need to cancel my membership or just not say anything bad about any product or service so long as I'm posting away on the internet. Its the good/bad/ugly comments that inform people as to why or why not they should use a product. What good is the power of OSO if you can't knowingly help somebody try and avoid a potentially costly mistake.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The legal definition:
A type of defamation. Slander is an untruthful oral, written, or published statement about a person or entity that harms the person's or entity's reputation or standing in the community. Because slander is a tort (a civil wrong), the injured party can bring a lawsuit against the person who made the false statement. If the statement is made via broadcast media -- for example, over the radio or on TV -- it is considered libel, rather than slander, because the statement has the potential to reach a very wide audience.

If it's true, than it's not slander. Of course, this doesn't mean you won't get sued.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
The legal definition:
A type of defamation. Slander is an untruthful oral, written, or published statement about a person or entity that harms the person's or entity's reputation or standing in the community. Because slander is a tort (a civil wrong), the injured party can bring a lawsuit against the person who made the false statement. If the statement is made via broadcast media -- for example, over the radio or on TV -- it is considered libel, rather than slander, because the statement has the potential to reach a very wide audience.

If it's true, than it's not slander. Of course, this doesn't mean you won't get sued.
AH but the internet is not regulated or considered a media
Old 07-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just speak the truth,not hearsay.I heard of a lot of people screwing people but dont have first had knowledge,so I guess you could word it as I heard?

Forinstance
Like JC Perf is Gay

I ve never retracted a statement on this board,but sometimes its not worth the headache of someone b!tching at ya.

They would have to hire a lawyer $$$$

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Andy,
Who ya pizzin off ???

On a side note, you DO NOT own a 1992 Python, as your profile states.

Perhaps I`ll sue . . .
Old 07-27-2007, 06:58 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Got a message from an OSO member telling me to beware about something I may or may not have said about a certain engine(s), which I appreciate very much. So how many people here on OSO have actually had charges brought up against them for slander regarding something they have said here on OSO. What did you say or not say? I was under the impression that comments member make regarding products and their experience with them was protected by free speech.

OSO/Steve - how many people come to you wanting personal information to bring charges of slander and/or other charges.

This scares the chit out of me. Do I need to cancel my membership or just not say anything bad about any product or service so long as I'm posting away on the internet. Its the good/bad/ugly comments that inform people as to why or why not they should use a product. What good is the power of OSO if you can't knowingly help somebody try and avoid a potentially costly mistake.
In six years I have never been involved in a slander, defamation, or libel case or even been asked to provide information regarding one.

I have been threatened many many times regarding slanderous remarks. As my attorney says "slander is extremely hard to prove, extremely costly, and most attorneys won't do it on a percentage basis"

With that being said I would say always make truthful statements with first hand information. According to federal court rulings and the OSO rules you are responsible for everything you say on this forum.

If someone starts screaming slander, defamation, or libel I would say in MOST cases it is an effort to strong arm you in lieu of spending legal fees.

The way I look at it people should use OSO to measure their products quality and customer service. Like I stated earlier, that is providing the statements being made are first hand and truthful. My experience has also been that there are a lot of people out there trying to get things for free and many others that have very irrational thinking. A smaller percentage of the time I have seen companies with bad customer service practives and ethics.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OSO
In six years I have never been involved in a slander, defamation, or libel case or even been asked to provide information regarding one.

I have been threatened many many times regarding slanderous remarks. As my attorney says "slander is extremely hard to prove, extremely costly, and most attorneys won't do it on a percentage basis"

With that being said I would say always make truthful statements with first hand information. According to federal court rulings and the OSO rules you are responsible for everything you say on this forum.

If someone starts screaming slander, defamation, or libel I would say in MOST cases it is an effort to strong arm you in lieu of spending legal fees.

The way I look at it people should use OSO to measure their products quality and customer service. Like I stated earlier, that is providing the statements being made are first hand and truthful. My experience has also been that there are a lot of people out there trying to get things for free and many others that have very irrational thinking. A smaller percentage of the time I have seen companies with bad customer service practives and ethics.
As phukinlwyr told me, "The truth is always a valid defense". I wouldn't worry about threats of slander over the internet, anymore than I worry about threats to kick my ass.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
As phukinlwyr told me, "The truth is always a valid defense". I wouldn't worry about threats of slander over the internet, anymore than I worry about threats to kick my ass.
But if ya call someone a Nerd they drive to your house and burn it down.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard that JC Perf. was gay . Thats is second hand info ,I wouldnt want first hand info that

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Registered

To me, its alot like someone saying that they are gonna kick your azz. I am WAY more concerned about someone who bypasses the treats and just shows up ready to do it.

Come on...everybody screams libel or slander. Very very few actually follow through.

Last edited by sellsman11; 07-28-2007 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Slander ??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.