Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stereo guys-A little help needed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122001-stereo-guys-little-help-needed.html)

OldSchool 02-06-2006 08:58 PM

Stereo guys-A little help needed

I started installing a new stereo system in my boat today and I'm having a little problem. I can't seem to find the crimp-on small connectors for the speakers. I went to BestBuy, Tweeters, Radio Shack, Home Depot, Boat US and West Marine. Nobody has them!!!!! :rolleyes: :(

Can someone mail me some of them or let me know where I can order them online???

Outdrive1 02-06-2006 09:13 PM

Re: Stereo guys-A little help needed

Most any stereo shop should have them, are you talking about the connectors that are half the size of a regular connector usually used on a negative terminal of a speaker? Just put a full size one on there and crimp a little first so it's nice and tight. Either that or you can solder a wire on there and heat shrink it. I honestly prefer soldering most of my connections, just get a butane soldering gun and it will make your life alot easier.

OldSchool 02-06-2006 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
Most any stereo shop should have them, are you talking about the connectors that are half the size of a regular connector usually used on a negative terminal of a speaker? Just put a full size one on there and crimp a little first so it's nice and tight. Either that or you can solder a wire on there and heat shrink it. I honestly prefer soldering most of my connections, just get a butane soldering gun and it will make your life alot easier.

I was told to never solder a wire to a speaker terminal. It can mess up the speaker. It is the small connectors that I need for the negative terminal.

buck183 02-06-2006 09:26 PM

I can mail you a bag of them if you want. We order them by the hundreds. I know what you're talking about.

I have been guilty of putting the full size one on a time or two myself using the plier method. :eek: For your applicatioin I probably wouldn't want to do it though.

I wouldn't solder if it were mine either.

Buck

US1 Fountain 02-06-2006 09:29 PM

Have you tried an auto stero shop that installs them? I bought the speaker wire kits before that had them already crimped on.

On that note, I've never had a problem soldering them on. Guess I don't see how it can be damaged since the speaker itself is soldered to the terminal. You're not appling voltage, just some heat.

Outdrive1 02-06-2006 09:29 PM

I guess if you aren't confident in your soldering abilities I would refrain from doing it, you can end up un-soldering the speaker leads if you don't watch what you're doing. Sounds like Pedro will hook you up. About time you did something Buck. :drink:

Mikey Likes It 02-06-2006 11:25 PM

I found mine at WalMart in the car audio section. I would never had thought they would carry them. If I remember right they are even gold plated.

BillR 02-07-2006 06:53 AM

Any car stereo install shop will have those. Also the larger size that has been crimped to be real tight works 100% fine too.

OldSchool 02-07-2006 07:10 AM

Thanks guys. Buck is mailing me the right ones. :D :drink: I just don't like to do things half-azzed.

Mike Paula 02-07-2006 07:23 AM

You guy ever try soldering tab? I get them from radio shack and you wrap it around the wire and run a bic liter under it. I love them the work well and you’re not using a lot of heat to damage other components