Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   '98 Scarab 26 Repower-What would you install w/ a $30K budget? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122037-98-scarab-26-repower-what-would-you-install-w-%2430k-budget.html)

HiPerf2000 02-07-2006 02:28 PM

Re: '98 Scarab 26 Repower-What would you install w/ a $30K budget?

Originally Posted by pull my trigger
remember guys.....sometimes going to a bigger boat means a truck upgrade, bigger boat wont fit in current parking space......blah blah blah......it can get right out of hand

You're right. didn't think about that.

How about this then.......seems like a good deal, and not much bigger than the 26 ;)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8611.html

sakoutis3 02-07-2006 02:31 PM

Our hobby would never get out of hand.

magnum27 02-07-2006 02:36 PM

You will also need to add Hydraulic steering, would not be safe without it!!

teidsmore 02-07-2006 02:52 PM

Thanks for all the advice already posted you guys, the reason I'm keeping my 26 is because about 90% of the time the boat is on Lake Shasta, a big lake but not huge, if any of you have been there you know a lot of the time is spent going up and down its four narrow but beautiful rivers and in and out of their respective coves where tight u-turns are neccessary, 26ft is just small enouph to make these turns with out coming off plane. This is also the reason why I want better acceleration, I'd like to come of these u-turns nail the throttle and at least feel a little bit of a thrill on my way out. I'm also still in love with the timeless styling of this boat, I've looked at similar size fountains, formulas, Bajas etc. and they all look plane compared to this Scarab, (not taking graphics into consideration of course). The curves are very unique and original and if left alone without painting it's side air intakes like many do or altering the '98's subtle but sleek graphics could be (in my opinion) the nicest looking 26 footer out there.

teidsmore 02-07-2006 03:10 PM

Forgot to mention how impressed I've been with this boat when the going gets rouph. I've been in some pretty scary conditions cutting across the Monterey Bay from Santa Cruz and this hull seems very calm and collected no matter how she lands. I've taken her to Catalina as well where we encounterd some nasty chop coming back and she cut right through it, very smooth.

sakoutis3 02-07-2006 03:21 PM

I use the merc 575sci w/xr's I'm very happy with them
16000lb. boat runs 82mph all day and no problems.

satisfactionII 02-07-2006 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by teidsmore
Thanks for all the advice already posted you guys, the reason I'm keeping my 26 is because about 90% of the time the boat is on Lake Shasta, a big lake but not huge, if any of you have been there you know a lot of the time is spent going up and down its four narrow but beautiful rivers and in and out of their respective coves where tight u-turns are neccessary, 26ft is just small enouph to make these turns with out coming off plane. This is also the reason why I want better acceleration, I'd like to come of these u-turns nail the throttle and at least feel a little bit of a thrill on my way out. I'm also still in love with the timeless styling of this boat, I've looked at similar size fountains, formulas, Bajas etc. and they all look plane compared to this Scarab, (not taking graphics into consideration of course). The curves are very unique and original and if left alone without painting it's side air intakes like many do or altering the '98's subtle but sleek graphics could be (in my opinion) the nicest looking 26 footer out there.

Well if thats the tippin points, use Stormriders suggestion for power and spend the rest of the money on graphics, add a 2000 Watt stereo and be cool all the way around. I just wouldn't drop 30K into HP and drive because you will never never ever and I repeat never again get the money out of it.
Have fun with it... spending 30K on your toy has got to be fun. :D

375stinger 02-07-2006 03:43 PM

if you insist on putting the $$$into this boat, then i agree with satisfaction. if you are going to put 30grand into a 26footer, maybe go for makin it an all around improvement...just my 1 :D cent

Stormrider 02-07-2006 07:07 PM

There must be some good engine guys out west...
If you need, post a new thread looking for westcoast builders.

gotime34 02-07-2006 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
Well if thats the tippin points, use Stormriders suggestion for power and spend the rest of the money on graphics, add a 2000 Watt stereo and be cool all the way around. I just wouldn't drop 30K into HP and drive because you will never never ever and I repeat never again get the money out of it.
Have fun with it... spending 30K on your toy has got to be fun. :D

Good call on the graphics and stereo. Instead of having one new thing to enjoy, you'll have three