Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone know these motors? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122081-anyone-know-these-motors.html)

delsol 02-07-2006 10:39 PM

Anyone know these motors?

Found these motors on e-bay, ad claims they came with a 28 cig. From the bills that came with the motors it seems the work was done around Benton Harbour Michigan. Does anyone know the story on these motors, as I'm looking for a set like this presently but would rather not bother with motors that will grenade.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Thanks for any insight.

dean51267 02-07-2006 10:58 PM

Re: Anyone know these motors?

I would be leary, for a few hundred bucks you can buy a take out motor from a local marina and have it built ofr about $3000, then you know what you have.

I am always EXTREMLY concerned about motors that have been freshly built unless I know personally the reputation of the builder, get his story on it, and trust them extremly well.

Remember the cost of a motor is only a portion of the cost of changing a motor.

I am sure you know that, but it can't hurt to say it again...

betitbig 02-08-2006 02:32 AM

Yeah, they're pieces of crap... LOL

offthefront 02-08-2006 03:47 AM

I agree with Dean .... what you got now ?

delsol 02-08-2006 07:33 AM

Dean -- I agree and won't even consider them unless I get a positive feedback from someone who personnally knew them going together. I have been looking for a set of takeouts , unfortunately most are high hours and salt water use. As far as knowing what it takes to exchange motors --- I'm well aware -- My personnal best time for removing 2 big blocks is 2 hours 45 minutes by myself. A little longer going back in :rolleyes:
What I have know is a set of 420's, and a set of 700's both of which are going to be put into other applications.
betitbig -- if you know something about these exact motors please pm me -- if not, thanks for you opinion.

dean51267 02-08-2006 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by delsol
Dean -- I agree and won't even consider them unless I get a positive feedback from someone who personnally knew them going together. I have been looking for a set of takeouts , unfortunately most are high hours and salt water use. As far as knowing what it takes to exchange motors --- I'm well aware -- My personnal best time for removing 2 big blocks is 2 hours 45 minutes by myself. A little longer going back in :rolleyes:
What I have know is a set of 420's, and a set of 700's both of which are going to be put into other applications.
betitbig -- if you know something about these exact motors please pm me -- if not, thanks for you opinion.

I have not a clue on these in particular, but as a general discussion note, Jasper just quited a HELL of a price on a pair of marine 454 mag motors, $3800 for a long block. That will be hard to beat, I am sure I could not get a pair built for that.

gotime34 02-08-2006 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by dean51267
I have not a clue on these in particular, but as a general discussion note, Jasper just quited a HELL of a price on a pair of marine 454 mag motors, $3800 for a long block. That will be hard to beat, I am sure I could not get a pair built for that.

Don't do it dude, I had to learn the hard way. Just a warning.

delsol 02-08-2006 12:20 PM

go time -- are you talking about the 'Jasper motors'? I don't know who they are or where they're from, but if you had a bad experience PM me thanks.

birdog 02-08-2006 01:24 PM

Stay clear of the Jasper junk....A buddy is still living the nightmare

offthefront 02-08-2006 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by birdog
Stay clear of the Jasper junk....A buddy is still living the nightmare

I resent that Remark !

.. I have Jasper Remans and have had no trouble .... well ...one did break a valve at about 75 hours ..they fixed it ...broke again in 2 hours ...they sent me new motor ....but I had to foot the labor until they inspected the motor ....and then said the motors were over Rev'd .. which I know weren't ... the other motor runs great ...well it does burn about 1 quart/hr ... runs great though ... you know what ...never mind ......... :rolleyes:

One note ... the motor they replaced was out of warranty ... they didnt have to replace it ...but they did ...