Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gaffrig's new line of gauges! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122192-gaffrigs-new-line-gauges.html)

GAUGETHIS 02-10-2006 05:51 AM

Re: Gaffrig's new line of gauges!

Autometer makes some of the gauges to Livorsi Specs Not All. The Autometer you get is NOT the same gauge as a LIVORSI. For 18 years Livorsi has been doing improvements on a Salt Water Marine Environment Gauge.

The LED lighting is awesome

birdog 02-10-2006 07:35 AM

NONE of them are "Made" buy the people that sell them sooo...Buy what you like.

They are all manufactured over seas...India, I believe...

Phantom1 02-10-2006 08:16 AM

Info on Gaffrig/Livorsi-

http://www2.hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=609022

http://www.speedwake.com/upload/prin...623&perpage=11

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...of+gaffrig%22+

Outdrive1 02-10-2006 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by birdog
NONE of them are "Made" buy the people that sell them sooo...Buy what you like.

They are all manufactured over seas...India, I believe...

As far as I know Gaffrig actually manufactures their own product and has for 20+ years. I've owned Livorsi and Gaffrig products and did not notice Gaffrig to be an inferior product as far as quality goes. I wouldn't say that builders are using Livorsi over Gaffrig because of quality issues. I would say they use Livorsi because of Mike Livorsi, his commitment to customer service and to having the most options and choices of any gauge company.

Gaffrig has been making the black on black and white on white boring gauges forever. It's refressing to see that they are finally offering some more choices to their line.

Livorsi has driven the market to change and keep up. If Mike didn't offer so many options we would all still have the same boring gauges. I think it's just nice to see one of the industries oldest companies finally decide to bring their product line more current.

Phantom1 02-10-2006 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
As far as I know Gaffrig actually manufactures their own product and has for 20+ years. I've owned Livorsi and Gaffrig products and did not notice Gaffrig to be an inferior product as far as quality goes. I wouldn't say that builders are using Livorsi over Gaffrig because of quality issues. I would say they use Livorsi because of Mike Livorsi, his commitment to customer service and to having the most options and choices of any gauge company.

Gaffrig has been making the black on black and white on white boring gauges forever. It's refressing to see that they are finally offering some more choices to their line.

Livorsi has driven the market to change and keep up. If Mike didn't offer so many options we would all still have the same boring gauges. I think it's just nice to see one of the industries oldest companies finally decide to bring their product line more current.

Well said.

tpmarine.com 02-10-2006 09:04 AM

Hi Fellas,

I did not start this thread so that it would turn into a Gaffrig vs. Livorsi thread. Both are great companies and offer like products, that is no different than most companies in the marine industry...we all know that everyone offers an optima battery box these days, and it really does not matter who made it first.

If you have an opinion on the gauges (good or bad) or you want to voice your opinion on which manufacturer you prefer and why; great, that is the type of feedback I am looking for. Please keep the bashing and attacks out of it, it does not do anyone any good.

Thanks! :D

Now I am off to more important things...I have to get ready for the father/daughter valentine's day dance...have a great weekend!

tpmarine.com 02-10-2006 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Phantom1
Well said.

I second that!

Unoblondie 02-10-2006 12:26 PM

Ok you want an opinion on the Gaffrig gauge ...just looks not quality....It may be new for Gaffrig but looks like a style that has been around for awhile... in this game last years style won't do... new should be cutting edge and innovative never seen before different... not a copy of what has been out there on the market for quite some time

Psychostroker 02-10-2006 12:51 PM

My last boat that I bought used had Gaffrig Performance gauges (not Livorsi). The lenses were all partially filled with water from condensation which made the gauges unreadable most of the time.

I did some research awhile back when I was replacing them and found that Gaffrig Performance gauges are made overseas I believe in China.

If you check the address you'll find that it is a mailbox drop, not a manufacturing company. That tells me that all Gaffrig is doing is a private label deal and working from a small office or home. They are not a real "Manufacturer", just another middleman to ad mark up to the price we pay.

I talked to the folks at Livorsi and they actually confirmed they are a manufacturer they buy some components but they actually build and assemble their entire gauge line in house. This way they can offer over 17,000 different gauge combinations. I was impressed so when I went to study the Gaffrig gauge I was told they just come in a box straight from overseas and if you wnat to change rim only colors you have to glue on some corn ball cover thing. Maybe this works for a Bayliner but not on my boat. I also found that the company now called Gaffrig Performance never even had gauges, they bought them from Livorsi. It wasn't until there falling out and the dispute over the Gaffrig name that the Gaffrig guys started importing copies of the Livorsi gauge. Sorry guys but I'm for the made in America stuff.

I would love to have Livorsi in my boat because they look so great but the last time I did the gauges I bought Autometer and they are working great, just not as stylish as I would like at the moment. So if I ever buy gauges again they will be LIVORISI ALL THE WAY!