Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Beware on South Beach (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122308-beware-south-beach.html)

Scott B 02-11-2006 02:37 PM

Re: Beware on South Beach

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Hey,if I mess up,I pay the price,but in Miami,if they mess up,the tourist still pays :rolleyes:

:D :drink: :D

blueamerican 02-11-2006 02:39 PM

Go to Shula's. it's the best steak house in Florida...

Bobthebuilder 02-11-2006 03:08 PM

Had great meal with atmosphere 10 days ago at "Touch' along the Lincoln Mall. Was having way too much fun to notice if it was reasonable or not. :D
btb

super termoli 02-11-2006 03:35 PM

This tipping thing is one of those "cultural" difference b/w the US and Europe. In Europe, one tips in case of excellent service, excellent food, excellent whatever... basically if the overall mood is good. 10% is considered a very nice gesture indeed. Simply because staff is already paid a decent base salary they can live for 30 days with and tips are nice bonuses.

The way I understand it works in the US is that waiters are paid next to nothing and rely on tips to make their living which makes 20% tips perfectly understandable. But what I don't understand is why I should be paying the bulk of the waiting staff's salary instead of the restaurant owner? They work for you at your restaurant, then pay them properly. If I have to rent a waiter and pay him to serve me dinner, then you're operating nothing more than a self-service establishment and should revise your prices accordingly. A rip-off, that's what it is...

LubeJobs42 02-11-2006 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
That's the norm and stated around here. Tip include for large parties.

Kinda takes away the incentive to do a better job. But, is it legal to charge a tip? Can you deny it for lousey service, or at least cut the % down?

Many "high end" restaurants don't add the gratuity. There's an Italian restaurant I go to all the time. Most of the other Guineas from New York go there when they are down here. If you only tipped the normal 20% you will wait 3 hours for a table the next time you come in. The more you tip, the better the service in the future.

miamioffshore 02-11-2006 05:05 PM

I think the idea originally was it would motivate servers to do a good job, the ones that really sucked wouldn't last cuz they wouldn't make enough $. However unfortunately it has come to the point were just average service you are expected to give 15-20%, its an insult to only leave 10%. If you really want to thank someone for there service its more like 30%.

super termoli 02-11-2006 05:20 PM

LubeJobs, I do understand that it is like that in some "high-end" places but personally, I don't subscribe to that. I have a few places where I go all the time and where I have developed a friendship with the owners and the staff and where I started out by not tipping very much at all. This is because I feel that service should be friendly and welcoming no matter what the tip expectation is. I go to these places because they know how to receive people, they know how to make you feel as though you're that special customer even though they treat all customers like that. They have that capacity to make you feel welcome in their blood and more than the food, this is what a good place is all about. And this is what a good restaurant manager and a good waiter is all about and when they're born with that touch, they provide it no matter what the tip is. Naturally, the tip follows because the whole experience ends up being positive.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I have to pay for people to pretend that I'm welcome and serve me right, then thanks a lot gentlemen but that is last you'll be seeing of me and lots of luck with your business. Pretending for money is pure and simple whoring. Service comes first and no matter what, and then you deserve the tip, not the other way around.

offshoredrillin 02-11-2006 05:47 PM

I bartended for 5 years

To
Insure
Prompt or Polite
Service

plain and simple, I wont stiff someone but I will let them know if the service is bad...

CAP071 02-11-2006 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ratman
also be sure the babe you pick up has an innie not an outie :evilb:

:D :D :D :eek:

Semper Fi 02-11-2006 06:50 PM

I tip according to my service. Simple to me, if I get good service-I give them a good tip. If I get bad service, I give them a crappy tip and tell them why. I don't feel obligated in any way to give them a good tip if their service is below par.

I realize there are different circumstances. If I get bad service because maybe the restaurant is way understaffed, I will give the waiter a good tip, but I will ask for the manager/owner and tell them that I probably won't be back.
I am not shy :D I work hard for my money and I'm not going to give it away for a crappy dinner or service.