Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which would get better fuel milaege, and mid range acceleration (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122318-would-get-better-fuel-milaege-mid-range-acceleration.html)

Strip Poker 388 02-11-2006 01:46 PM

Re: Which would get better fuel milaege, and mid range acceleration

I would think the 900 plus HP motors will be a lot higher maintenance.More stressed...

I would think the triple engine boat would be allot more expensing and would out way the fuel cost diff.Jeff you don't put enough hours on one to worry about fuel savings or the maintance issues on a high HP motors :D

Rob :drink:

LEOPAJM 02-13-2006 12:24 PM

Fuel usage SHOULD be much less with the twins !
Mid range MIGHT be a little better with the triples ?
Docking will be easier with triples as you have a WIDE "track" to use ... just shut the center one down while docking !
The big benefit to having triples is the ability to "run home" on two if you loose one ... This doesn't suck !
The boat will feel more stable at speed as well "wide track" again !
Did I say you will USE alot more fuel with the triples !!! :drink:

super termoli 02-13-2006 02:00 PM

Jeff, not telling us enough. What is your secret "no bravo" drive?

Without that info, I can still give you my opinion that a triple boat will always be less balanced than a twin boat (or a quad boat). If in addition you're planning to short stagger the twins, that would probably be the best idea in terms of overall balance.

As for consumption, I don't think you should be thinking about either option if that is a major concern. Twins should be less thirsty though. Maintenance would be a pretty close call in my opinion. Are 625s N/A?

Docking? - what is your "no bravo" drive?
Mid-acceleration?: once again, what is your "no bravo drive"?

In any case, one sure thing is that a staggered twin with #6 drives will have a MUCH better resale value than a triple with "exotic" (read non-merc) drives. Nowadays, people tend to run away from triples rigged with non-mainstream stuff so I really think that your trip 625 will have odds heavily stacked against it.

Jassman 02-13-2006 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by super termoli
Jeff, not telling us enough. What is your secret "no bravo" drive?
undefinedI was looking at Arneson ASD-7's with the largest Bam tranny.

Without that info, I can still give you my opinion that a triple boat will always be less balanced than a twin boat (or a quad boat). If in addition you're planning to short stagger the twins, that would probably be the best idea in terms of overall balance.
undefinedIf I went with the 900-950's I was going with the #6's and a semi staggered set up.

As for consumption, I don't think you should be thinking about either option if that is a major concern. Twins should be less thirsty though. Maintenance would be a pretty close call in my opinion. Are 625s N/A?[COLOR=DarkRed]undefinedundefined [/COLOR625-750's all naturally asp.

Docking? - what is your "no bravo" drive?
Mid-acceleration?: once again, what is your "no bravo drive"?

In any case, one sure thing is that a staggered twin with #6 drives will have a MUCH better resale value than a triple with "exotic" (read non-merc) drives. Nowadays, people tend to run away from triples rigged with non-mainstream stuff so I really think that your trip 625 will have odds heavily stacked against it.

Again stuck with the Monopoly, I mean Mercury. :D