Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Throwing money around like its water! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122457-throwing-money-around-like-its-water.html)

CAP071 02-14-2006 03:47 PM

Re: Throwing money around like its water!

I think it would damn nice to have so much money to be told to go blow some away :drink: :D

itilldo 02-14-2006 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by hugetime1
remember half of you have no business even owning boats

well with that said...anybody want to buy a Fountain

birdog 02-14-2006 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by hugetime1
remember half of you have no business even owning boats

Wow ! Really ?...which half ? Did you commission a survey to find this information or did you just pull it out of your..................hat :D

hugetime1 02-14-2006 05:08 PM

My comment was not mean't to offend anybody, but as a financial planner and somebody that is up on this stuff, I know there are several people in the world that spend above there means. the gov't stat is that the savings levels are at and all time low and americans are carrying way too much debt. So again I was not singling anyone out or being nasty, it is just a statement of fact, just ask any boat broker how many boats are they selling for people because the people realized they can't afford them. you will find the # to be quit high.

BADA BING 02-14-2006 05:10 PM

Guys I see this all the time in the automotive industry, my company does aftermarket for Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, and Ferrari...some of the people here on OSO are clients and some have our products through one of our distributors, and sometimes some of these projects could have been marketing projects that were done for cost and marketing and now the idea guy is looking to cash out on the idea? Not saying that is the case here, but it is very well possible, we get allot of clients who sometimes run in crowds where they buy the hottest newest *****en car and bring it to us to dress up, they grind for a deep deal and run around promotiing it, or offer it to us after they use it briefly to display in our showroom and put a price tag that makes them money :cool:

As other said, some are in a tax brackett that their accountants tell them to buy this stuff and take a loss on it, sometimes they are losing 200k on a boat, but wrote off 400k...not a tax person, but I assume this a loop hole many utilize :D

BraceYourself 02-14-2006 05:49 PM

NOT NEAR AS MANY LOOP HOLES AS YOU THINK. IRS has completley cracked down on almost everything. Especially pleasure items such as boats.

And for not paying cash for the boat and letting your money work for you is obsered. The people that buy a million dollar boat are smart. Most look at it as a toy, and will not want it as a liability. Any toy I buy I pay cash. That way no matter what happens tomorrow I'm ok.

Just my 2 cents

satisfactionII 02-14-2006 06:13 PM

I will do as I want and I refuse to do the things I don't want to. As far as saving, yeah I got enough, but does it make sense to put all of your money in the market so the speculator thieves can rip you off at a coule of thousand a week? Fraid not. :evilb:

cuda 02-14-2006 06:33 PM

I think the main reason they buy big money boats is the same reason a dog licks himself.................because he can. :drink:

CAP071 02-14-2006 07:19 PM

so lets twist this tread into a different direction.

If you did have this much money.

WHAT WOULD YOU BUY ? :drink:

dean51267 02-14-2006 07:26 PM

as a financial planner I would have different take on it. if this were a dave ramsey board I would see the need to scream about over spending, but let's admit it, we have a disease, it is boats, and we con spend our money on that or chasing women at the bars.

It is not a problem until you do both! :evilb: