Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone have an automatic pop up bow light? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122463-anyone-have-automatic-pop-up-bow-light.html)

Downtown42 02-13-2006 06:27 PM

Re: Anyone have an automatic pop up bow light?

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Mine was chrome. Give you a buck !! LOL :D

Chrome in saltwater good idea. :D

The new 39 Gun at Chicago had the auto pop up bow light when you hit the light switch. :D

bobonthis 02-13-2006 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by tekfal23
Why could you not run with a spot light on? I do it/have seen others do it all the time. WTF is it for if you can't use it?

Yes, those are the cruisers, they have no idea what they are doing anyways on the water :D It is very illegal on most lakes and waterways I have ever been on at least. I dont know what lakes you boat on though. It is for docking or if you see something floating in the water or to read channel markers not to be used as headlights.

US1 Fountain 02-13-2006 07:29 PM

Never understood the no spot light/docking lights while running. If it's dark out, I wanna see where I'm going and be seen. What's different between the road and water? A bright white spot light moving around is more noticable than a pretty red/green stationary bow light.
You don't have to point the spot light right at the other boater.

scottc 02-13-2006 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Never understood the no spot light/docking lights while running. If it's dark out, I wanna see where I'm going and be seen. What's different between the road and water? A bright white spot light moving around is more noticable than a pretty red/green stationary bow light.
You don't have to point the spot light right at the other boater.

The white light blindes other drivers due to no other lights like street lights. You loose your night vission if the light hits you and there is no way to keep them aimed low. imo...........

tekfal23 02-15-2006 06:54 PM

On the Mississippi River, you can use whatever light you want. I understand about the light blinding others, but we use them here to find buoys, Obviously it must be ok because barges do it, and they put reflectors on the buoys anyway. The only other place I boat is in the Ozarks, and I don't use them there anyway. I'm not worried about anything being in the water that I need to see. Maybe I can use them to find and not run into the water patrol there. Sneaky bastards.

pullmytrigger 02-16-2006 10:09 AM

I boat in cottage country up here.......theres all kinds of things to hit......but mostly people!!......they will go out for a "midnight cruise" in their canoe, go fishing in their tin boat (all without lights of course) or go swimming.....I know the light issue wouldnt be my fault but I dont even want to go there......especially with a perf. boat........I really dont like the idea of night boating at all but sometimes it would be nice not having to go home at 9pm..............doug