New Website: Boating Safe.org

Old 02-16-2006, 05:37 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Post New Website: Boating Safe.org

It appears Casey of Extreme Mag has started another website:
www.BoatingSafe.org

After reviewing the proposal called, "Best Practices" for Safe Boating, I find many of the ideas inside this document are already in existence within the APRA and the NJPPC.

Perhaps after the meeting in Miami, more ideas will be brought up for the final draft.

I'm curious to know how many people really feel they need to know how fast other boats are going in a run?

As a suggestion is made to apply vinyl colors on boats to determine what class of boats and speed they fall into.
White= 0 to 70 mph
Orange=70 to 110 mph
Yellow= 110 +
(This idea didn't go over well in the Racer's Section a few weeks ago with their number panels...)

If it is really that important, maybe they should just go with a letter designation...?

Another issue sure to be discussed:
The Drivers Meeting.
This would be where they Review Safety Procedures, Personnel, and Equipment. They Identify all Safety Boats, Equipment and Personnel to all Participants and let them all know about the Safety Staff, the locations and their Role.
They will Review 'in case of an accident plan' and let the participants know about Safety Procedures in case of an accident.
What bothers me in this particular part of the proposal is the first 3 words under the Driver's Meeting caption which states: " DON'T INVITE EVERYONE" They recommend only the captain and a mate to be present at the meeting. "All other participants and passengers should remain outside meeting." "(This removes all other distractions.)"

I personally feel that the more people on the boat that knows what's going on the better. If an incident took place where both the captain and mate were hurt, or tossed, what would the passengers know about the procedures and the emergency contacts???
When it comes to a driver's meeting, the person in charge has the floor. If he or she can't keep a driver's meeting in order while the issues are being discussed, then he or she has no business managing a run!

Good luck at the meeting.

You have 60 minutes...Let's hope you have no distractions...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 02-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: New Website: Boating Safe.org

You can't really argue with anything in the line of safety! I like to have at least 1 friend on the boat that is familiar with boating and knows safe procedures just in case.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:07 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
You can't really argue with anything in the line of safety! I like to have at least 1 friend on the boat that is familiar with boating and knows safe procedures just in case.
My point exactly!

It is safer to have everyone on the boat know what is to be expected and what to do in case of an emergency.
That is why I feel you should not exclude anyone from the Driver's Meeting....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 02-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am taking a boating safety course right now (online). I will take Tres Martin's class sometime in the near future. It's expensive-- $2,500.00 for 2 days, but I guarantee I will be a more knowledgeable and safer boater after taking his class. You just can't put a pricetag on safety.

Kind of like a friend of mine used to say years ago. "it's a really bad feeling to going into an exam knowing that you didn't study enough"....he is right, just apply to anything in life. You could have a boating accident that could have been avaoided if you and our crew were better informed.