Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Survey, what do they actually include (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122507-boat-survey-what-do-they-actually-include.html)

itilldo 02-14-2006 06:50 AM

Boat Survey, what do they actually include

Can someone please enlighten me on what an actual survey includes? Thanks for the info.

Edward R. Cozzi 02-14-2006 07:26 AM

Re: Boat Survey, what do they actually include

It provides a seven or eight page report describing the condition of the craft along with an inventory of standard equipment and options. The report can be used as a pre-purchase, insurance, financing or damage evaluation.
All serial numbers, registration numbers, HIN and documentation numbers are on one document for your convenience.

Along with all of the systems checks is the replacement value and current market value of that particular vessel. That figure is arrived at by checking NADA, ABOS, BUC and the Powerboat Guide and of course, the condition of the boat as it is evaluated.

As far as the machinery, the outdrives are checked for loose mountings, physical impact damage and oil contamination. If an EFI engine, the ECM is scanned for fault or trouble codes and confirmation of the actual running time hours. If the customer wants a compression and/or leakdown test of the engine, it is available at extra cost as is an oil analysis. It is recommended that a sea trial also be performed, as some problems do not lend themselves to detection at the dock or on the trailer.

Does this help or do you want more detail? I am happy to answer any questions and can be reached at (954) 895-4633 or email.

[email protected]

Clay Washington 02-14-2006 07:55 AM

It is basically a piece of paper that says the boat is "real". Most surveyors are not mechanics, so they don't know squat about engines or outdrives.

It is a nice thing to have, and most banks require one for a loan, but that's about it.

Just my two-cents...

BTW... I am loving my Bullet! :D

Edward R. Cozzi 02-14-2006 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
It is basically a piece of paper that says the boat is "real". Most surveyors are not mechanics, so they don't know squat about engines or outdrives.

It is a nice thing to have, and most banks require one for a loan, but that's about it.

Just my two-cents...

BTW... I am loving my Bullet! :D

Sorry your experience with surveyors has been less than positive.
Over the years I have found and diagnosed hundreds of problems with hulls, stringers, bulkheads, running gear, outdrives, V-drives, transmissions, electrical systems, plumbing systems, generators and engines...many of which have kept the buyer from making a giant financial investment that would certainly have been a disaster.

I found a failing transom in a big motoryacht that probably saved an entire family from doom on a proposed trip tp Puerto Rico.

Many of the things I find during a survey even the owner is unaware of and is very grateful to know the impending failure.

I feel that my mechanical background is an asset to my survey business and I've saved deals by making repairs DURING a sea trial!

Sorry to disagree, but a survey is MUCH more than a piece of paper.

RHC 02-14-2006 08:48 AM

:D Ed,,, not all surveyors have your skills ,, charming personalty and quite demeaner,,, Oh what a differance!!!! :D :D ,,,, some times ,, its just a piece of paper.

RHC

rainmn 02-14-2006 09:03 AM

Ed, I don't mean to doubt your skills in the least - from reading your posts, you sound like you do a thorough job, and definitely know your stuff.
However...not all surveyors do, and you've said it yourself. How about those dealers who won't use you anymore, since your surveys cause them to actually have to FIX stuff on their boats? You think the surveys they are getting done now are any more than a piece of paper? I think not.

Clay Washington 02-14-2006 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Sorry your experience with surveyors has been less than positive.

Sorry to disagree, but a survey is MUCH more than a piece of paper.

No insult intended, Ed. I'm sure that your survey includes many things that most surveyors skip over.

The surveyor of the Bullet I just bought didn't even bother to open the engine hatch! :eek: Due to the tarp covered with snow the engine compartment could not be opened at the time of the survey.

He did notice that one of the cabin cushions had some wear and tear. :rolleyes:

Tantrum 02-14-2006 09:23 AM

As with anything you have your good and your bad.

Ed did a survey for me and it was very thorough and very professional. Maybe check with someone like Ed (he's not local to you) and find out the proper questions to ask a prospect surveyor.
If spending the kind of money most of do on boats, your nutz if you dont get an inspection by a qualified professional. JMO

Good luck with your purchase.

Edward R. Cozzi 02-14-2006 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
No insult intended, Ed. I'm sure that your survey includes many things that most surveyors skip over.

The surveyor of the Bullet I just bought didn't even bother to open the engine hatch! :eek: Due to the tarp covered with snow the engine compartment could not be opened at the time of the survey.

He did notice that one of the cabin cushions had some wear and tear. :rolleyes:

Clay:
I did not feel insulted at all. I know there are clowns that survey boats and I'm sorry you caught one of them. I wish I could fly all over the country and protect my OSO family, but it's just not practical.
Ed

Semper Fi 02-14-2006 09:59 AM

You have to do your research and find a qualified surveyor--One that has credentials and has a good reputation like Ed Cozzi.
Just like everything else guys, there are good one and bad ones. Finding the the right surveyor is definately imperative when you buy a boat, there are so many things that they can find that you wouldn't know what to look for. Also getting the engines checked out is very important also.
You can look up surveyors through the Accredited Marine Surveyors society (AMS) or other club/societies/assoc. like that.
I personally think it's stupid to not get a survey when you buy a boat. Unless you are somebody who is extremely knowlegdeable about boats, engines, etc....and you can do what a good surveyor is capable of doing. I rather pay the surveyor now that the piper later :D