Documented Vessel Question >

Documented Vessel Question

Notices

Documented Vessel Question

Old 02-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Documented Vessel Question

I don't think the $1,400.00 was for the tax, if so, it was a partial tax payment. The price of the boat was over $200,000 when he bought it.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses, sounds like I am screwed. Semper Fi is right about the amount, I am looking at about a 15k bill.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Documentation fees down here run about $400.00. $1,500. is way off if none of that was for your sales tax.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Havasu Cig, before you pay, there are exemptions to the rule

http://www.azdor.gov/brochure/610.pdf
Old 02-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Registered

Thanks for the link, I was looking through that site yesterday but i don't think any of the exemptions aplly to me. Any tax attorneys from AZ in here?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Havasu Cig
Thanks for the link, I was looking through that site yesterday but i don't think any of the exemptions aplly to me. Any tax attorneys from AZ in here?
I thought #9 could work for you, but if they already have your AZ address
Old 02-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What do you get out of having your boat documented vs. non documented?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Registered

How does AZ know you have a boat and how do they know how much you paid for it. You registered the trailer so they know about that. The boat has no title and no AZ registration - where did they get the info from?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Registered

AZ sent me a letter, non-certified, a year after I purchased a 382 in Phoenix. (2004) I live in Indiana and documented the boat. They wanted their piece of the pie. I think the company I hired to document the boat dotted all the "I's" and crossed all the "T's", which probaly included notifying the local state I purchased the boat from.
Originally Posted by Havasu Cig
I bought my previous boat almost four years ago, and sold it about one year ago. I bought the boat from a dealer in California and took delivery in Arizona because we own a house there and home ported it there. I had an agent who I was referred to by the dealer do the documentation of the boat for a fee of $1500.00.

Now four years later I have the State of Arizona coming after Me for sales tax on the boat. My first question, are documented vessels subject to the same taxes that state registered vessels are?

My second question, who is responsible for paying the tax? I own my own business and I am responsible for paying sales tax on items I sell. If I don't collect from the customer I still have to pay. It just seems kind of odd that the State is contacting me directly. If I bought a car from a dealership would they do the same thing?

Thanks for any info anybody can give.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:27 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The USCG national Vessel Documentation Center, (NVDC) shares data with each state. Each state then determines how and what tax is due. The vessel numbering or documentation resiprosity is not nessescarily directly related to taxation.

I would however challenge each call for tax due. My own expierience here in Florida was very concerning to me as I did not owe the tax they said was due. I recieved two letters from the state of FL stating if I had not paid tax on two boats it WAS due at a rate of 6%, not may or might be due but was due.

One boat was kept and sold in Michigan and had never seen FL, the other was shipped from Puerto Rico, registered in my name in FL and later sold in Florida. In both cases the state of FL got my address from the CG and sent these letters. When I contacted the tax office in Tallahasse and let them know thier letters were wrong and written in a way which was very misleading and decepetive, they tried to re-direct by saying it was becasue of all the fraud.

I would challenge it but also know Tax is going to be collected somewhere. When I bought my current boat I paid the great state of FL a nice big tax bill...

Quick Reply: Documented Vessel Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.