Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Documented Vessel Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122528-documented-vessel-question.html)

Havasu Cig 02-15-2006 11:07 AM

Re: Documented Vessel Question

Originally Posted by bcschoe
The USCG national Vessel Documentation Center, (NVDC) shares data with each state. Each state then determines how and what tax is due. The vessel numbering or documentation resiprosity is not nessescarily directly related to taxation.

I would however challenge each call for tax due. My own expierience here in Florida was very concerning to me as I did not owe the tax they said was due. I recieved two letters from the state of FL stating if I had not paid tax on two boats it WAS due at a rate of 6%, not may or might be due but was due.

One boat was kept and sold in Michigan and had never seen FL, the other was shipped from Puerto Rico, registered in my name in FL and later sold in Florida. In both cases the state of FL got my address from the CG and sent these letters. When I contacted the tax office in Tallahasse and let them know thier letters were wrong and written in a way which was very misleading and decepetive, they tried to re-direct by saying it was becasue of all the fraud.

I would challenge it but also know Tax is going to be collected somewhere. When I bought my current boat I paid the great state of FL a nice big tax bill...

Thanks for the advice and I think you are right. I am going to have to pay somewhere, and it will most likely be in Arizona. I did have California come after me on a previous boat that was never used in the state and delivery was taken in Arizona, but all I had to do was show that I payed Arizona tax and that I own a house there and it was over. After dealing with California on previous boats I am probably better off keeping this issue in Arizona.

Havasu Cig 02-15-2006 11:10 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I feel a little more informed now.

LaveyMan, Did they try to get you for any penalties? That is what concerns me the most.

MikeyFIN 02-15-2006 11:18 AM

Sales tax on used stuff from state to state. It has been paid once already.
Crookeeed.

miamioffshore 02-15-2006 11:20 AM

What about Florida? Does anyone know if you can "get away with this" in Florida by purchasing in another state and then Documented with CG?

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking.

M

Havasu Cig 02-15-2006 11:35 AM

No problem, I would like to hear what other states are doing. :cool:

Tantrum 02-15-2006 11:41 AM

I looked into documenting in NJ and there was no tax advantage here.
The registration stickers are required with documented boats here now, to get the sticker you have to pay sales tax.

The only advantage was that the boat would be in a national database. So if it were stolen and if the hull numbers was intact and if the documentation numbers where intact and if anyone ever cared enough to look there was a very very slim chance they might trace the boat back to me.

hpoffshore 02-15-2006 11:52 AM

I deal with this type of paperwork every day...In MD., when an out-of-state resident purchases a boat from us to be used in another state, they sign a "State of Principle Usage" form. This form does two things; it absolves me(the dealer) of the tax collection burden in MD.(because the boat is leaving the state), and a copy of this form is then sent(via Dept. of Natural Resources of MD.)to the Gov. of the "State of Principle Use"(as filled-in by the buyer). This form, or it's equivalent, is what usually triggers the tax assesment letters first. The documentation process usually works a little slower. CG Documentation supersedes ALL "STATE REGISTRATIONS". CG Documentation is totally exclusive of any state exise taxes or usage fees that may be levied by any individual state or pricipality.
Hugh

Kanookstr 02-15-2006 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by expresscat39
Delaware and Nebraska may be the only states left to avoid or negate the sales tax.

HN is another

dukenrock 02-15-2006 01:40 PM

I was running in Benton Harbor Michigan area last year with a CG Doc only and got stopped. They wanted to see the Reg sticker on the boat. He wanted to write me a ticket but let me off for some reason. I went to the BMV the next week and had to pay the sales taxes (Ouch) to get the sticker. Now I have the CG Doc paperwork as well as the local state registration number (With sticker on the window) with me on the boat.They don't require numbers on the side if it's CG Registered.

Originally Posted by Tantrum
I looked into documenting in NJ and there was no tax advantage here.
The registration stickers are required with documented boats here now, to get the sticker you have to pay sales tax.

The only advantage was that the boat would be in a national database. So if it were stolen and if the hull numbers was intact and if the documentation numbers where intact and if anyone ever cared enough to look there was a very very slim chance they might trace the boat back to me.

Semper Fi 02-15-2006 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by yeehaw
How does AZ know you have a boat and how do they know how much you paid for it. You registered the trailer so they know about that. The boat has no title and no AZ registration - where did they get the info from?

Whenever you have your boat docked in a marina or a slip they can report your CF numbers or vessel documentation to the state board of Equilization. That's how they find out :D

Same thing with a plane or helocopter in an airport...they report the tail #'s to the board of equilization