Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sale Tax (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122802-sale-tax.html)

mars 02-17-2006 02:17 PM

Sale Tax

Hi
I would like to know if there is a sale tax to pay on a second hand boat or the trailer or both of them in the state of Wisconsin.
I know that in some states you don't to pay the tax on a used boat but you have to pay for the trailer and so on.
These regulations changes from state to state
By the way, i'm living in Canada, is there something that I should be aware of before making this transaction and buying this boat and trailer.
Thank you

fund razor 02-17-2006 03:21 PM

Re: Sale Tax

You don't pay sales tax in the state or country you buy it from.

You pay sales tax in the state or country you register it in.

I bought a boat in Wisconsin. I only paid the guy I bought it from.

I paid tax at home.

I sold a boat to a Canadian.
He got hassled at the border and then paid tax at home.
But I want to say that he had to pay two different taxes.
Maybe one crossing the border and one registering it.

Be aware that the Wisconsin trailer will not have a license plate or registration.

fund razor 02-17-2006 05:45 PM

By the way... the Canadian who bought my boat ran without a trailer plate up through Detroit and half way across Ontario. He had the title which we signed over in the US, and a bill of sale, both dated the day he crossed the border. He had no problem.
He brought a bank check to himself drawn on a local bank in US funds (clever fellow... I think he said he did it at the border or something.) when he was comfortable with the boat and me, we went to a bank where he got me cash, and we went to a notary and I signed it over in front of the notary. He didn't have to travel with cash, and I didn't have to trust some foreign draft. Took a whole day but it worked great.

fund razor 02-17-2006 05:50 PM

He only got a little hassled.
Maybe he stopped at the boat store and bought a bunch of stuff in the US and claimed that it came with the boat. I don't know, but end result he got home with the boat just fine and sent me some nice pictures of the boat in the Georgian Bay.

mars 02-18-2006 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor
By the way... the Canadian who bought my boat ran without a trailer plate up through Detroit and half way across Ontario. He had the title which we signed over in the US, and a bill of sale, both dated the day he crossed the border. He had no problem.
He brought a bank check to himself drawn on a local bank in US funds (clever fellow... I think he said he did it at the border or something.) when he was comfortable with the boat and me, we went to a bank where he got me cash, and we went to a notary and I signed it over in front of the notary. He didn't have to travel with cash, and I didn't have to trust some foreign draft. Took a whole day but it worked great.

Any special reason of going to the notary