Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BMAX New lower design in Miami (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122875-bmax-new-lower-design-miami.html)

Strip Poker 388 02-21-2006 12:39 PM

Re: BMAX New lower design in Miami

Originally Posted by zt260
It's a 2003 Checkmate ZT260

I dont think you have enough motor for that boat :rolleyes: :D You have any picks of the motor.

Rob :D

zt260 02-21-2006 12:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've always liked the phase- "If more is better, than too much is just enough"

Until the damn drive blows-

articfriends 02-21-2006 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I can produce up to 1400HP, but at present boost, I'm at 1000HP\950TQ. Dean said it would work and guaranteed it when I brought the drive two years ago. But the lowers just keep tearing up, and I'm easy on it. No jumping, no holeshots and only a few WOT runs per year. The upper is bullet proof.

Dave-

Dave,I'm making real close to 950 hp and just over 950 ft lbs tq in my baja 272 turning a 32 pitch and 30 pitch 4 blade around 5600-6000 rpm's(similar size boat) and I have tore up 2 sets of xr gears (same ones I'm sure b-max is putting in there drive too) and sheared off 1 max worx vert shaft. Do they look just like these when you break them? Max machine is telling me their new billet lower casing has double support bearings on the vert shaft which should help keep from tearing up lower gears but I'm skeptical if it will help. 2700$ for the new billet casing and 600$ for the shaft,I might wait and see if something better (like the b-max lower) comes out,Smitty

articfriends 02-21-2006 04:41 PM

I've always liked the phase- "If more is better, than too much is just enough"

Until the damn drive blows-

Whats the aluminum tank for in engine compartment,I'm guessing either race gas that you boost the octane with in your normal fuel when under boost or alcohol/water injection,am I close?Smitty

articfriends 02-21-2006 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Yvonne said they were still at they show today.I think its going to be the same crescent lower? The new lower gears are going to be helical style which will have more surface contact area and 3 teeth will be engaged at all times on the lower gears . This will spread out the load and the merc gears only have 1 tooth touching at a time.This is what I was told .

Rob :drink:

Strip,I'm under the impression the current b-max lower bolts on identical to a std merc lower or a imco lower but is no stronger than any of the others out there (billet shaft,xr gears etc). Any idea if the new lower when its done will bolt onto the old b-max which would mean it would be a good retrofit for guys like you and zt-260 without buying a whole complete new drive and it would then also bolt to other drives like my max worx upgraded upper? That would be nice but I bet dean also beefed up the vertical shaft with bigger dia too,Smitty

zt260 02-21-2006 07:23 PM

The last set of gears looked like yours, but that was because I felt it coming apart and idled in. All the others were completely trashed. Not much left in terms of teeth.

The small tank is 112 octane for runs over 10Ibs of boost. I can switch fuels on the fly in seconds

Bmax's lower case will bolt to any bravo upper, but Dean uses his own vertical and prop shaft that are not interchangeable with bravos. Dean told me the new lower will bolt up to my existing Bmax upper.

Hope he gets going on this, with my single, it’s a long paddle back to the dock-

Vinny P 02-21-2006 08:52 PM

Hey Dave,
I am just lurking around reading this thread. When I wondered what that guy from Donzi ( @ the NYC Boat show this year ) was really thinking when you told him you had a 26' Hull w/ 1400 h.p. :eek: :eek:

zt260 02-21-2006 09:02 PM

I'm pretty sure he thought one of two things.

This guy is full of crap, or he's crazy.
Maybe both-

X-Driver 02-21-2006 09:03 PM

What's that Cmate run w/ 1400hp, Zt260?

Vinny P 02-21-2006 09:13 PM

I'm going with " he's crazy"... He could tell we knew what we were talking about.