Looking for Info --- New Guy

Notices

Looking for Info --- New Guy

Old 02-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Info --- New Guy

Hey all,

I know alot of this has probably been gone over 100 times, But I am on dial up and this site loads slow. Would take me forever to search. (And I have been searching).

I have a 1991 Baja 260. Has a stock 340hp 454 with thru hull exhaust. Few things I am looking to do.

Exhaust - Either some mufflers that really work, or silent choice. I know choice is the best way, but I really don't know what all I would need. Is every boat different as far as the y pipes and such or is it a standard thing. I really would rather go with a muffler I still like to hear it, but the wife would like less noise.

Trim tabs - Don't have any, and would really like them. Is there any how to sites? What are the best brands? what type do I really need for my boat?

Power - What can I do beside a bigger motor, a major rebuild, or a supercharge? I really don't want to spend big money at this time for a supercharge. One because I hear good and bad, two because I may not keep this boat for long, three i really like the fact that I just turn the key and the thing starts every time. So will simple exhaust pipes, ignition, air filters (K&N), or what ever really do me any good? If I could get another 5 MPH I would be real happy. The boat does high 50's to 60 now with a 23 pitch.

Cover - The one I have is pretty lacking. Is there any companies that would make a fitted cover for my boat? Got a quote of over $1000.00 to have one made last year, would really like to spend less than that.

Grafics - Would like to update a bit. What is the best route to go? I really have no clue here.

thanks for the help guys I know this is alot of questions.

Dave

P.S. how could a put a pic of my boat on this thread?
Old 02-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Looking for Info --- New Guy

try the technical q & a section for many of your questions.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Registered

I'll take a stab at this.

Im assuming that your 454 is a stock 7.4 / 330hp +-. And I believe it is a 2 bolt main. Theres not too much you can do, reliably,and gain that kind of speed. you are gonna pay at least 5,000 if not more. new ignition, and filter alone, wont help you go any faster. if you do increase your power, tabs are a must and Bennets or Boat levelers wont help you much over 60 mph. Trick marine sells a nice setup, or you can go with a set of Kplanes 280s, but they will set you back around 3000. And then you might have to consider hydraulic steering. 1000 for a custom cover is not unreasonable. if you want something custom and snappy lookin, you have to expect to pay for it. As far as graphics go, there are many companies out there that do some nice vinyl work. Again.....its gonna cost ya.

If i had to guess, and you did all the things you listed above, including the motor work, you'de be into the boat for around 10-15,000.

My advice to you, since I've been there and done that with a 1989 Baja, is to sell your boat for whatever its worth and move up to a faster boat with everything you want. If you dump that kind of money into your current boat, it will not be worth that much more after you are done.

if i can keep one person from making the mistake that I made, I'de be a happy camper. and in the long run, you would too.

hope that helps ...good luck
Old 02-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bruce makes some good points....im guessing this is a first boat or at least a first performance boat for you?? if thats the case save your $$ now and run this boat until it dies or until you have enough money saved up to upgrade...and believe me it wont be long and you will be ready for a bigger boat!! good luck and have fun!!
Old 02-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone

Was kind of feeling this might be the case. THe only thing I might really do is the mufflers. Just thought if there was something I did not know about, I might get lucky.

This is my second boat, my first was only a BAJA 190DSR though.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Registered

Also is vinyl a way to go. Thought though was really looked down on inthe boating world.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

There's nothing wrong with vinyl. Vinyl is very cost effective if you plan on changing the graphics in a few years or selling the boat reasonably soon. But it will get tore up from docks and fenders and anything else that comes in contact with it. If you are certain that this is the boat for you, for more than just a couple of years, go paint. Just my opinion.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:28 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

To post a picture go down to manage attachments and follow the directions....make sure you downsize the picture.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Registered

OK Lets try

Last edited by Nightlife1970; 09-13-2007 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for Info --- New Guy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.