Notices

HELP! Broker Question

Old 02-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts
Default HELP! Broker Question

Hi Everyone-

I hope you all had a great time at the Boat Show I know I did!
So I have a few questions that need to be answered. As most of you know I am picking up a 382 formula this next weekend. It was suppose to go through a broker. The broker messed up the deal at the last minute.

So now we are buying the boat from the owner himself. So at 8am Saturday morning after a real late night of drinking at the Cleavlander and about 4 hours of sleep I get a call from the broker. I let it go to voice mail and in the message he tells me that his is in the process of putting a mechanic's lean on the boat and we will not be able to register the boat.

Is he able to do that? Or is there any other lean/hold he can put on the boat so we can not change the title into our name?

I called the owner and he is not worried but i just want to make sure.

Thanks for all of your help!
Don Gardner
Old 02-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: HELP! Broker Question

In my opinion, changing title won't be a problem, if there is any problem to happen, he's gonna run after the actual owner but that won't cause any problem to you, that's for sure.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone can put a lien on anything, if the court house will let them.

Generally you will need to work with the motor vehicle commission, tell them what happened, and the se if they will remove it.

I used to own a car lot and we had some of this.

Last resort is sue the guy in small claims court in your town, this should rattle his cage, and he likely will send a title release, if more tha nsmall claims allows it will be difficult.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Registered

second idea, transfer it QUICK, do not delay on this, once in your name it becomes far more difficult to impose lien.

However you need to be square with seller so he knows what he may face, that is only equitable. Sounds like you already have, but just in case.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by dgduck13
Hi Everyone-

I hope you all had a great time at the Boat Show I know I did!
So I have a few questions that need to be answered. As most of you know I am picking up a 382 formula this next weekend. It was suppose to go through a broker. The broker messed up the deal at the last minute.

So now we are buying the boat from the owner himself. So at 8am Saturday morning after a real late night of drinking at the Cleavlander and about 4 hours of sleep I get a call from the broker. I let it go to voice mail and in the message he tells me that his is in the process of putting a mechanic's lean on the boat and we will not be able to register the boat.

Is he able to do that? Or is there any other lean/hold he can put on the boat so we can not change the title into our name?

I called the owner and he is not worried but i just want to make sure.

Thanks for all of your help!
Don Gardner

He isn't licensed by the state anymore (www.sunbiz.org) so this would be like an unlicensed contractor trying to file a lien. It is illegal if you are conducting business illegally. He is trying to punk you into paying his commision. I would just do the title work asap and enjoy your new boat!
Old 02-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Registered

The earliest I can register the boat would be Monday the 3rd. Is there a way I check with the state and see if he filed a lean?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ANDREW REALTOR
Lien yes you better hope he is bluffing because if he has witness to state he created meeting of the minds you will loose in court!ITS NOT A USED CAR
Actually he wasn't there the first time we looked at the boat. He was tied up doing some other business. he gave us the owners number and we set up the meeting......
Old 02-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't want to side with the broker, but if he truly brought the seller and buyer together, some sort of commision is due. If the seller was stupid enough to use a broker, he should expect to pay him something.

Last edited by Tazz; 02-19-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Registered

you gotta ask, did the broker do his job. If he did he deserves to get paid, if not, he does not. How would you want your kids to know you handled this? Answer that question honestly and proceed accordingly. If he deserves nothing, do not roll over, if he deserves payment, help him get it.

I work with several real estate agents, and when I buy something they jump through amazing hoops for me, because they know I will fight to make sure they get paid. I see them also ignore other buyers because they have to wonder about that.

So just do the right thing, do not screw anyone, and let it roll. It will work itself out...
Old 02-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through the same thing last year. I was lucky enough to have the paperwork completed before the broker took any action. Bought the boat from a guy in Va. and registered the boat in Pa.

watch your Butt if the brokerage is going to put a lein on the boat.

Quick Reply: HELP! Broker Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.