Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   who will ACE out who (outdrive name) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122973-who-will-ace-out-who-outdrive-name.html)

Sean H 02-20-2006 08:15 PM

Re: who will ACE out who (outdrive name)

konrad looked cobbled together and unfinished, merc well, looked like a merc, like they put some thought and research into it....

and the blunt nose seems to work just fine on the demo boat...

glassdave 02-20-2006 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Steet
I thought the looks of the new merc drive was very nice and looked like a mini number six drive. The only thing that I noticed is that it can not possibly be faster though. Did you notice the very blunt nose on the drive? No bullet nose which I would think would be consideralby slower.

if it is slower im sure Merc will offer you an "optional" nose :D

Anarchy Powerboats 02-20-2006 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Scott B
Merc...

Well damn Scott, not to get in a pissin match or anything but if Merc isn't releasing theirs until next year I would think you can't really make any assessment. Good design isn't always the prettiest, agreed?

Anarchy Powerboats 02-20-2006 08:33 PM

And just for the record, my next drives are Arneson.

Anarchy Powerboats 02-20-2006 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Steet
I thought the looks of the new merc drive was very nice and looked like a mini number six drive. The only thing that I noticed is that it can not possibly be faster though. Did you notice the very blunt nose on the drive? No bullet nose which I would think would be consideralby slower.

iasked the Merc guys about nose cone options, they looked at me as if I were insane.

Scott B 02-20-2006 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
konrad looked cobbled together and unfinished, merc well, looked like a merc, like they put some thought and research into it....

Oh lord, Sean H and I agree on something? Look, up in the sky, its a byrd, its a plane, its a flying pig? :eek: :eek:

Originally Posted by Sean H
and the blunt nose seems to work just fine on the demo boat...

buck twenty somethin aint nothing to sneeze at....

Marginmn 02-20-2006 09:50 PM

What's different about this ACE drive from Konrad. Is it a new drive for them?

outdrive man 02-20-2006 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING
iasked the Merc guys about nose cone options, they looked at me as if I were insane.

mercury spends allot of money on hydrodynamics. you dont want a sharp leading edge because of cavitation. i have heard allot of stories where guys have added nosecones and lose speed. look at the six, a proven drive, it has about the same profile.

Panther 02-21-2006 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by outdrive man
mercury spends allot of money on hydrodynamics. you dont want a sharp leading edge because of cavitation. i have heard allot of stories where guys have added nosecones and lose speed. look at the six, a proven drive, it has about the same profile.

I agree, it's hydro dynamics.

People don't knife edge crankshafts anymore.....