Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   "New" Mercury products in Miami: Puh-leeze!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122981-new-mercury-products-miami-puh-leeze.html)

C_Spray 02-20-2006 06:52 PM

Re: "New" Mercury products in Miami: Puh-leeze!!

Originally Posted by sean stinson
Dont hold back Chuck :eek: :eek: :p :D :cool:

OK - Stand by for a r-e-a-l-l-y strong rant....

How ya doin' brudda? It's been a long time since I saw you hanging around LA or Philly!

Edward R. Cozzi 02-20-2006 07:15 PM

Mercury had to wait until the patent time was passed on the Volvo Duo-Prop to release the Bravo III.

C_Spray 02-20-2006 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Mercury had to wait until the patent time was passed on the Volvo Duo-Prop to release the Bravo III.

Try a Google search on horrific "outdrive corrosion issues" and see what pops up...

Steet 02-20-2006 08:03 PM

The mercury package was very nice, but I can asure you that they are not the only player on the block now. The Konrad package is very nice and alot less expensive than the mercury ACE. Also from what I heard at the show, the mercury drive will not be called ACE for very long. I heard they infringed on a copyrighted name. As for the 700 package it is very sleek and will find its way into alot of boats. But for the money there are alot of better less expensive packages out there and more to come.

T2x 02-20-2006 09:29 PM

Some interesting facts....to put this in perspective.

1. The original Volvo Penta drive was designed by Charlie Strang while he was an engineer ........for Mercury.

Without Mercury.......there would be no Volvo.

2. Mercruiser's Speedmasters came out before Volvo's gangly pieces of junk in the 70's........ There has never been a racing outdrive that could stay on a race course with the MC's #2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. There have been a few fast direct surface drives....but certainly nothing from Volvo.

3.The Imco's, like all single shaft, through hub Bravo knockoffs, share the same aversion to HP........ They crack when subjected to the massive side loads that high HP creates.

4. Volvo makes a nice drive.......... they do not make anything approaching the larger MC's...... but they do make a nice drive. If you want the best....you're talking a #6.
By the way how is Volvo's dry sump program coming along?

5. Gushing about the duo props is nice conversation but has nothing to do with truly high performance technology...... unless, of course, you think "crash docking" at 5-6 knots is "fast boating".

6. Take all of these "other engine builders" and compare
  • "true" Horsepower...not the wishful claims half of these guys make
  • Service network and warrantee
  • propeller selection (unless, of course, they don't make propellers)
  • Electronics, and R&D....( Smartcraft, Guardian)
  • Resale ( 2004 36' Glitz Craft with twin Mario Provolone 750's priced to sell)
  • parts availability
  • X site

Amen.

copiercat 02-21-2006 12:13 AM

not to change the subject but
the outboard new stuff was some real diss -apointing crap as well, the only thing near to a 300 was 115 lbs heavier and didnt come with a sportmaster
and i think the cowling was ugly compared to a alien or offshore

PhantomChaos 02-21-2006 03:17 AM

Chuck....do you like the ole' Volvo stuff or WHAT!!!???b bb :drink: :drink: :drink: :D

Smarty 02-21-2006 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by T2x
Some interesting facts....to put this in perspective.

1. The original Volvo Penta drive was designed by Charlie Strang while he was an engineer ........for Mercury.

Without Mercury.......there would be no Volvo.

2. Mercruiser's Speedmasters came out before Volvo's gangly pieces of junk in the 70's........ There has never been a racing outdrive that could stay on a race course with the MC's #2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. There have been a few fast direct surface drives....but certainly nothing from Volvo.

3.The Imco's, like all single shaft, through hub Bravo knockoffs, share the same aversion to HP........ They crack when subjected to the massive side loads that high HP creates.

4. Volvo makes a nice drive.......... they do not make anything approaching the larger MC's...... but they do make a nice drive. If you want the best....you're talking a #6.
By the way how is Volvo's dry sump program coming along?

5. Gushing about the duo props is nice conversation but has nothing to do with truly high performance technology...... unless, of course, you think "crash docking" at 5-6 knots is "fast boating".

6. Take all of these "other engine builders" and compare
  • "true" Horsepower...not the wishful claims half of these guys make
  • Service network and warrantee
  • propeller selection (unless, of course, they don't make propellers)
  • Electronics, and R&D....( Smartcraft, Guardian)
  • Resale ( 2004 36' Glitz Craft with twin Mario Provolone 750's priced to sell)
  • parts availability
  • X site

Amen.

Exactly!

OldSchool 02-21-2006 07:28 AM

That's it!!!! I'm pulling the #6's off of my boat and putting some Vulva's on there!!!!!!

:p :evilb: :D :evilb: :drink: :evilb:

BigDadys93x 02-21-2006 07:48 AM

What is going on with their outboard stuff? Are they purposly trying to get out of the high performance outboard market? First they drop the 2.5 (granted not the most enviromentally friendly) but probably the best selling high performance outboard ever and havent come out with anything new that even comes close. Then they drop the 3.0l 300x which was another awsome engine (and clean runniing) and replace it with the new 3.2l 300xs which is heavier. besides all that the only other thing they have is a couple "go fast" bass boat motors. this is just sad. I will always be an outboard guy at heart even though I have stern drives now and this sucks!