Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   LOTO or Offshore down south (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/123135-loto-offshore-down-south.html)

rush 02-22-2006 08:54 AM

Re: LOTO or Offshore down south

I like the florida idea!

Harper220 02-22-2006 08:59 AM

I think that owning your own boat company would be very time constraining and not allow you to get out on the water in a recreational sense. It might even take away your passion for boating.

I recommend going with Griff's idea in post #4 and Ed brings up many good points also.

Shore Thing 02-22-2006 09:10 AM

I'm 27, so I've only been out of college for a few years now. My advice to you would be to forget about the boat thing for now. Find something corporate that you enjoy doing and get a job with a good company and begin to gain experience and work your way up. Save your money and buy a house as soon as you can afford it (before buying a boat). Once you get your house, you will find it much easier to get into a position to buy a boat.

Starting your own business is high risk/high reward. Sure, you could hit the jackpot and make millions. But you're much more likely to struggle for a few years before you are forced to close down and find another job, setting you back further.

If I was bent on opening my own business, i would work for someone else so that I could gain experience on their dime for 10 years or so before trying it on my own.

Just my opinion..

rush 02-22-2006 09:22 AM

Do what YOU want to do ,if your good at it you will make all the money you need.

Boomer 880 02-22-2006 09:33 AM

Don't waste your degree by detailing boats... your parents will kill you :)

How about trying to get a marketing spot with one of the big builders (Sea Ray, Baja) to get your feet wet?

JasonSmith 02-22-2006 10:24 AM

I agree. Find a job you love. Working is much easier if you love what you do. If you have to sell yourself on the job, it is not for you.
I love the business I am in now (Garbage to energy) not glamorous, very low profile, sometimes dirty & often I'm out at 3:00 am to fix something at my plant, but the freedom & benefits are what make it what it is for me.
If you want to detail boats, do it. But be realistic. If you want to be on the water playing, a boat service position is not for you.
Good luck

hammer01 02-22-2006 12:22 PM

Do What You Do Well For A Living And Party On Boats If You Do It Well On The Weekends. Too Many People Have Told Me In The Past 15 Years That They Started Selling, Servicing, Cleaning, Etc. Boats Because They Loved Boats=====now They Hate Boats. My Wife And I Work Our A## Off To Enjoy Our Boat And Kids On The Weekends. Loto Is Fun To Vacation And We Have A Place There All The Time But There Is No Good Help Down There And That Unfortunately Reflects On All The Businesses. Market Yourself To Every Boat Manuf. In The Industry And You May Be Surprised What You May Find. They Like People With Passion For Their Product, But Be Ready To Work To Earn It And Then Enjoy The Boat Later.

Harper220 02-22-2006 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by hammer01
Do What You Do Well For A Living And Party On Boats If You Do It Well On The Weekends. Too Many People Have Told Me In The Past 15 Years That They Started Selling, Servicing, Cleaning, Etc. Boats Because They Loved Boats=====now They Hate Boats. My Wife And I Work Our A## Off To Enjoy Our Boat And Kids On The Weekends. Loto Is Fun To Vacation And We Have A Place There All The Time But There Is No Good Help Down There And That Unfortunately Reflects On All The Businesses. Market Yourself To Every Boat Manuf. In The Industry And You May Be Surprised What You May Find. They Like People With Passion For Their Product, But Be Ready To Work To Earn It And Then Enjoy The Boat Later.

How much longer does it take to capitalize the first letter of every word? :D

cigarette38topgun 02-22-2006 12:34 PM

Thanks for all the input, just to clear up my 1st post, i would not start a boat co, i would buy good used boats and resell them.... i would love to work for cigarette racing, oso, mti, etc etc......i guess when i am ready i will just hit them all and see what happens.....
i also thought of living on my parents for a couple years after college to save up money to put towards a lake house rentals ie......condo's
i can also see myself going into real estate as well
the detailing in FL i could handle.......i work hard now (landscaping/construction).....

Panther 02-22-2006 02:10 PM

This past Monday I was at the marina I used to work for. The owners son was introducing me to all the new employees and telling them that I worked there a while back.

He said to the head mechanic; "This is Frank, he used to work here and now owns one of the speedboats on E-Dock." The mechanic shook my hand and said; "I see, so you left here and got a better job so you could afford to buy one of the boats."

At the time it was a big risk for me and I actually took a pay-cut with my new job. I was doing something that I loved but it just wasn't paying enough and I felt like there was a glass cieling.

I had two choices at the time; A. Start my own business B. Get into the corporate world. I choose B and it was the best decision I could have made. Even if I don't do what I'm doing for the rest of my life the learning experience in it self was worth it! I left the marina when I was 22 and I'm 28 now, I'm making more than 5 times what I used to make. (knock on wood I can keep it goin!)