Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Any thoughts on the Cobalt 343? Any owners on OSO? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/123472-any-thoughts-cobalt-343-any-owners-oso.html)

DRIVEN1 02-26-2006 02:27 PM

Any thoughts on the Cobalt 343? Any owners on OSO?

http://cobaltboats.com/model_line/343/intro343.php

Was looking at this today. They said with 600s on it would be a low to mid 80 mph boat. Not as fast as I would like but it gets the approval from the wife as family friendly (removable bimini, can seat more than 5 people, nice cabin). It is wide compared to most performance boats and the cockpit can sit 9-10 people when going pleasure cruising. Any thoughts on it ? Any other boat in the 35-40 foot range that can do 80 mph take 8-10 people on it and have a top for shade coverage? The only other boat I could think of would be the Fountain 38 Express but it will only do 70mph with 525s and it costs more. Thanks Mike

CMG 02-26-2006 02:54 PM

Re: Any thoughts on the Cobalt 343? Any owners on OSO?

My brother has a Cobalt, very well built boat. Something tells me that if had 600's (expensive engines + relativiely expensive boat) it would cost as much if not more than a 38 Fountain though.

DRIVEN1 02-26-2006 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by CMG
My brother has a Cobalt, very well built boat. Something tells me that if had 600's (expensive engines + relativiely expensive boat) it would cost as much if not more than a 38 Fountain though.

So your brother has been happy with the Cobalt? I like the warranty they offer of 5 years on most of the stuff including the motor and drives (this would be nice to have with the 600s).
600s boat loaded is around $265,000
525s boats loaded is around $240,000.
The price would be up there. But a 525 Fountain express is around $325,000. I do not need the bedroom and size cabin the fountain has. I am looking for a day boat and will never sleep in it. I have a Fountain 38 LX with triple 225 optis right now. Nice boat just not fast enough .

CMG 02-26-2006 03:16 PM

The boats are known to last for ever, he's had it (I think its either a 26 or 28ft) for couple years and never anything negative to say. Contact blownincome here on the board, he's the service manager for East Coast Flightcraft where he go the Cobalt, they sell a ton of them. as a matter of fact they're also a pretty big Fountain dealer too. good luck

jeaston 02-26-2006 03:24 PM

In my opion you can't go wrong with a Cobalt. Good family and great product.

Jassman 02-26-2006 03:31 PM

I think its a great boat, i checked it out at Miami. I like the beam size, speeds are great for purposes intended. Cabin was also great for your application, Well Built from what I could see at a fair price for value. Good Luck. Jeff

DRIVEN1 02-26-2006 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by CMG
The boats are known to last for ever, he's had it (I think its either a 26 or 28ft) for couple years and never anything negative to say. Contact blownincome here on the board, he's the service manager for East Coast Flightcraft where he go the Cobalt, they sell a ton of them. as a matter of fact they're also a pretty big Fountain dealer too. good luck

Thanks for the info.
I noticed they have won the JD power award for highest customer satisfaction four years in a row. That shows me they are a great company.

DRIVEN1 02-26-2006 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman
I think its a great boat, i checked it out at Miami. I like the beam size, speeds are great for purposes intended. Cabin was also great for your application, Well Built from what I could see at a fair price for value. Good Luck. Jeff

I agree the cockpit seemed very nice with a beam of 9'8". The cabin was good size for getting out of the rain. If it will actually do low-mid 80s I would be impressed and may have found the boat to fit my family's needs. I am hoping someone on this board has one and can verify the speeds for me.

Ron P 02-26-2006 03:53 PM

That looks nice. Take a look at the Formula's too. Same style boat.

DRIVEN1 02-26-2006 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P
That looks nice. Take a look at the Formula's too. Same style boat.

I looked at the formula370SS. Very nice boat but they do not let you big enough motors in it to get the speeds I want. The wife loved the cabin and layout of that boat.