Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   car stereo instal vs. boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/123483-car-stereo-instal-vs-boat.html)

Boomer35 02-26-2006 03:59 PM

car stereo instal vs. boat

I have a kenwood deck that when i took out of my truck a few yrs ago, it worked, i found the power and ground in the boat that comes from the stereo switch and they are gettin juice, (the cb works) but when i hook up the deck the deck doesnt work?? other than checking the deck fuse, am i forgetting anything else?

GOODT 02-26-2006 04:00 PM

Re: car stereo instal vs. boat

maybe the costant feed/ memory wire.... in most cases usually yellow or orange

Griff 02-26-2006 04:02 PM

Make sure you have both power leads form the head unit hooked up to the power. Should be a yellow for constant power(clock & preset memories) and a red for the main power.

Boomer35 02-26-2006 04:29 PM

yea, i had them both hooked up, the red is the ignition on my deck, is that the one??? the yellow has an inline box on it that i cant open, assuming its a fuse, any thoughts?

Tony Montana 02-26-2006 07:42 PM

Not claiming to be an expert by any means but try to hook it up direct to any 12 volt battery to see if it works. Make sure if it has a removable plug into radio that it is in all the way. Also that box that you can't open sounds like it may be a noise filter. If there is a fuse in line with the power lead you should obviously check that.

Boomer35 02-27-2006 12:04 PM

this might sound stupid, but cant i jsut take some wire, hook up my ground to my truck battery and to the deck, then hook up a live wire to the battery and run it to the 2 wires on the deck, i should be able to get some juice then right?

Audiofn 02-27-2006 12:15 PM

If you have your two power leads hooked up (red and yellow), and your ground hooked up then you should be good to go. it it still does not work then start testing. First pull the plug off the back of the radio and make sure that power is getting through to the head unit. The sealed up box that you are talking about is I do not think a fuse it is probably a noise suppressor. If you have voltage at the plug on both the red and yellow then make sure there is no fuse at the back of the head unit. If that fuse is ok or does not exist then look for a reset button. Ussually behind the face plate or the front. It is a small little button that you use a paper clip to hit. Some head units did have two yellows but that was I think Clarion. If all that is tried and it still does not work then you are probably bettter off getting a new one.....

Jon

BY U BOY 02-27-2006 02:24 PM

Power And Accessery Wire Together Should Work. Also Check The Connections On Yhe Face Plate Clean With Terminal Cleaner. The Box That You Can Not Open May Be A 9v Dac

Griff 02-27-2006 03:53 PM

I think the Kenwoods also have a reset button on the top part of the head unit.

cfischer 02-27-2006 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer35
I have a kenwood deck that when i took out of my truck a few yrs ago, it worked, i found the power and ground in the boat that comes from the stereo switch and they are gettin juice, (the cb works) but when i hook up the deck the deck doesnt work?? other than checking the deck fuse, am i forgetting anything else?

PM Naughty Kitty, he will be able to help you with any boat stereo questions.