Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Black transom (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/123488-black-transom.html)

Quality Time 02-26-2006 11:04 PM

Re: Black transom

Sure was running nice as you guys pulled away on the way back :drink:

Strip Poker 388 02-27-2006 12:21 AM

Mine use to do it when I idled a lot . I heard the 500efi are a little rich at idle .Also heard the high octane. I always ran 93 in it and i put A MSD box on it and it helped ..

Ray @ Raylar your saying they changed the mix/blend recently ????

Rob :drink:

CAP071 02-27-2006 07:00 AM

87 and an msd box cleaned mine up like a champ. if you idle around lots it's gonna happen.

Magic Medicine 02-27-2006 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Mine use to do it when I idled a lot . I heard the 500efi are a little rich at idle .Also heard the high octane. I always ran 93 in it and i put A MSD box on it and it helped ..

Ray @ Raylar your saying they changed the mix/blend recently ????

Rob :drink:

I think he might be refering to the ethanol that is now being blended with most pump fuels.

DJD 02-27-2006 08:17 AM

How much oil does it "burn"? We had a problem with a simple pcv valve on our F2 race boat. Transom was BLACK after a test run right before the race. It didn't do it unless we were running hard.

Semper Fi 02-27-2006 11:00 AM

I would probably say that it's the fuel. California is more stringent on fuel than most states because of the air polution. Maybe the fuel mixtures/ additives have changed somewhat to be causing this?

I saw a report on consumer affairs about 4 yrs ago when they tested different fuels--87,89,91, there was prctically NO difference in the fuels from a few major brands. :eek:

There is actually a big difference in fuel quality between different fuels. They all blend their fuels differently with various additives. I only trust and use 76 or Mobil

Gizmo 02-27-2006 11:20 AM

I have a pair of hp500's and am experiencing the sooting on the transom. I have been told that it is a common issue with these engines. Also been told that the A/F mixture is fattened up at idle to keep from leaning out at high RPMs. I had some relief work done to the heads and the sooting is not as bad as it used to be. Just my .02 worth.....
I run 89 octane most of the time.

dreamer 02-27-2006 03:11 PM

ALL 500 leave sooty transoms... they r set rich at the factory... end of story...lean it out w/ a ecm reprogram

In2Deep 02-27-2006 03:45 PM

I had this "problem" with my 496. Was also told it is normal for this to happen. Someone suggested I add a K&N intake.
I did that. Less black, and not too lean.