Notices

Six stroke engine

Old 02-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Six stroke engine

88fount33 the world loves an optomist, what was your impression of the invention of the wheel? only those that attempt the absurb achieve the imposible! i think mister crower can come up with a way to overcome a little water in the oil. maybe he can get the oil hot enough to evaporate the water out of the oil like us offshore guys!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ratman,

I honor innovators and inventors. I was only pointing out some of the obvious roadblocks he will face to get a net result that may not improve the reliability or power output that is desired.

Combined Cycle (in his case the Otto cycle combined with the modified Rankine cycle) are the most efficient methods of converting heat (burning coal, oil, gas, or diesel) in to rotational energy. This is called co-generation and offers overall thermal efficiency in the low to mid 40% for the available energy in the fuel. These consist mostly of gas turbine (jet engines) exhausting into boilers to boil water to make steam to drive a steam turbine connected either directly to the jet turbine output shaft or to a separate generator directly.

Popular Science had an article on a gas engine/steam generator car where the exhaust gas boils the water to drive a steam turbine that helps powers the crankshaft. It was a very interesting article (It is BMW [http://www.popsci.com/popsci/automot...index.html]and would be available to the public within the next 10 years.) They claim that they have boosted performance 10 % as well as fuel economy by 15%. It did have a condenser to recycle the water from the steam cycle so you would not have to add water constantly.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
Ratman,

I honor innovators and inventors. I was only pointing out some of the obvious roadblocks he will face to get a net result that may not improve the reliability or power output that is desired.

Combined Cycle (in his case the Otto cycle combined with the modified Rankine cycle) are the most efficient methods of converting heat (burning coal, oil, gas, or diesel) in to rotational energy. This is called co-generation and offers overall thermal efficiency in the low to mid 40% for the available energy in the fuel. These consist mostly of gas turbine (jet engines) exhausting into boilers to boil water to make steam to drive a steam turbine connected either directly to the jet turbine output shaft or to a separate generator directly.

Popular Science had an article on a gas engine/steam generator car where the exhaust gas boils the water to drive a steam turbine that helps powers the crankshaft. It was a very interesting article (It is BMW [http://www.popsci.com/popsci/automot...index.html]and would be available to the public within the next 10 years.) They claim that they have boosted performance 10 % as well as fuel economy by 15%. It did have a condenser to recycle the water from the steam cycle so you would not have to add water constantly.
Fricking rocket scientists!!

Just kidding Aaron!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Banned

Do you think the valves would be at 1000 degrees on the first stroke? I really don't know, but then the water would be cooling them.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey cuda, youv'e got a point. also, if the overall efficiency goes up then perhaps the fuel and water supply load (weight) would be lowered enough to be less of a problem.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
Let's see,

Water injected into each cylinder while it is hot, it flashes to steam to drive the piston down. Anyone dump cold water on valves lately? Even hot water is still too cool to dump on 1000 degree valves.

Steam leaking by the rings gets into the oil for the bearings, and after a while you have to stop to drain the excess water from the crankcase.

yep, I'll take two.

If your read the article carefully he stated that he was using a diesel injector to spray the water. I dont know if you know the mechanics behind diesel injectors but in order for the fuel to cumbust in the cylinder of a diesel engine the fuel is injected at such high pressure (1000-1500psi) that the fuel is pretty much vapor when it enters the cylinder. Using the same principle to inject water will give you pretty much the same result . When ever any substance is compressed it creates heat . At these pressures the water entering the cylinder will pretty much already be steam or a very fine mist. As far as water leaking past the rings and getting into the crankcase, it probably wont happen because the internal cylinder temps will cause the water to vaporize almost immediatly. It could happen after shut down if there is residual water left in the cylinder but if this occurs you would need to tear the motor down anyway because you would have bad rings and oil blow by as well.