Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Goin' rate for a used Hustler? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/123554-goin-rate-used-hustler.html)

Too Old 02-27-2006 08:03 PM

Re: Goin' rate for a used Hustler?

Originally Posted by RHC
Good self control Fred,, :D I'm proud of ya!! :evilb:

RHC

It was hard...... :D :D :D

customryder 02-27-2006 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
It was hard...... :D :D :D

I can do it :D
buy Fred's I use to own it, it is super nice! the hull is perfect.
its in beautiful cond. & has a awesome trailer. around 90mph.

Too Old 02-27-2006 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by customryder
I can do it :D
buy Fred's I use to own it, it is super nice! the hull is perfect.
its in beautiful cond. & has a awesome trailer. around 90mph.

Thanks.....I couldn't bring myself to post a shameless plug. :D

Not to mention the guys at Trick really want me to keep this one. :rolleyes:

Semper Fi 02-27-2006 08:57 PM

If I was looking for a 388, I would look at Freds (TRICK) Hustler....he put some nice "Trick" touches on the boat and it's really clean looking:D

BajaRunner 02-27-2006 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by super termoli
why not? well, because if you start out by asking 99K instead of 110K, then you'll start getting offers that are that much lower and while the guy might be willing to sell at 100K, he may not be ready to do so at 90K.

And if you adopt a strategy of opening with a low asking and then sticking to your guns and not allowing what is considered a normal negotiation margin, this will put many people off. my experience is that there is nothing more effective in creating a bad vibe than a seller who is stubborn about the price...

I try to get as close to what i want. my theory, you will attract more people, and if it is truely priced right, it will sell. I paid the exact amount the seller was asking for my boat. It was a good price, its what he wanted, he wasnt going to take any less, and i bought it.

I like to price it where i have a little negotiation, but where i also attract as many people as i can.

oh, and that does seem like a decent price on the hustler.
:D

Shallow Minded 03-01-2006 02:40 PM

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. As much as I'd like to consider Trick's, I've got a feeling it might be outta my wallet's range right now... :(

From the reading I've done, '97 was the first year of the 388. Is that right? And a couple of follow-up questions...How do these boats handle rough water? Finally, since I see nothing but Baja's and Fountain's around here, can anyone comment as to the general construction/finish quality of Hustler's?

Thanks fellas.

super termoli 03-01-2006 04:14 PM

A Hustler 388 is a fast boat with stock power. You should be seeing at least 80+ with healthy 500s and a proper setup. This is in a boat with a full cabin and a proper full-size cockpit. To get that sort of performance, it is a step bottom and the transom does get looser than you would see in a conventional straight V. However, my opinion is that a 388 remains well behaved all the time. Some people have experienced unstable behaviour with extreme power and speeds of 100+ but this can be cured quite easily with few setup changes. If you plan to upgrade to that sort of speed, talk to Joe or Chip @ Hustler and they will surely give you some pointers.

However, the 388 was designed to be a safe and fast boat with stock power and if you plan to stick with 500s or not go beyond 650hp, this is what you will get. The boat is well balanced, flies straight, great fun in the rough. Once again, looser than a conventional V but always seemed predictable, no surprises.

The overall quality and structural integrity is excellent. Just go and visit the facility in Calverton, NY and you will be convinced. Hustler is a top level manufacturer, financially rock solid, they never cut any corners. People working there are dedicated and competent. My personal opinion is that a Hustler will always be a more customised, upmarket product than a Fountain or a Baja. If you can get a clean 388 for around 100K, go for it. I honestly don't think you would regret your decision.

super termoli 03-01-2006 04:17 PM

BTW, I do believe that 97 was the first year for the 388.

RHC 03-01-2006 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
Thanks.....I couldn't bring myself to post a shameless plug. :D

Not to mention the guys at Trick really want me to keep this one. :rolleyes:

Thats because the guys at Trick have not spent the day on an Apache!!! :D :evilb:

RHC