Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   cig top gun vs 38 powerplay (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/123782-cig-top-gun-vs-38-powerplay.html)

Jassman 03-03-2006 04:39 AM

Re: cig top gun vs 38 powerplay

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Dude, you are smoking crack!! Ther is no doubt that Cigarette makes a great boat, but unless you have ever crawled inside or seriously looked at a Powerplay, you are so far from the truth.
I'm not saying that PP's are better than Cigs, just that they make as good a boat as Cigarette. Powerplays were extremely well-built custom boats. Just ask any surveyor that has surveyed a PP. I have heard many times that when a PP comes into a paint booth that they are perfect. :D

As much as I use to like PP, and Midnight, that was a poor representation of a 38 that anyone could have at a show. Boat was extremely dirty, caulk everywhere was dulled out and yellowing, seats had been restitched poorly, and then you have all that extra room behind bolsters, which could have incorporated an additional set of bolsters to fill that area. The cabin reminded me of something back in the 80's, monkey fur on the sides and headliner. The sides were relatively straight,(being white but dirty helped) but not perfect, to me it looked liked the molds were getting old and might not been taken that well of care of. Rub rail installation in one area could have improved. Just my observations on it. Jeff

JERSEY DEVIL 03-03-2006 06:33 AM

had a 33 2 years ago by far the nicest boat i ever owned to date the 38 are my next choice what happened to the the navy blue one or maybe it was black

OSO 03-03-2006 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Wow, OSO Steve either your the new Big Scotty or you were right in the thick of things!

Where does the resale market sit with the used 38's? Beav has Fox Force 5 listed for 260ish, Fastboats.com has a new 04/ 06 for 259k, and the white hull with big power is 355K.

What are these boats really worth? Being that the future production of the 38 with inboards may be very limited and only 10-11 boats currently in existence what is real money on a used 38 with good but not crazy power?

Yes I was in the thick of things considering Powerplay was in my back yard. I also had a 33 totally custom built from the ground up while the 38 was being born and breast fed. I was at the factory every day for months.

Powerplays were considered Ferraris in South Florida, most of the new boat buyers were very wealthy cash buyers. They were not known to the rest of the World because they did not have dealers and the marketing dollars were limited.

I will leave it at this, Danny built one of the best boats in the World, was one of the best Salesman I have ever met, he just could not run a business.

Of the three Powerplays I owned, the only problem I ever had with one was the stereo broke. Never a stress crack, never even a screw loose. I watched Danny take the console of a 33 one day and trash it because one of the glass guys let some of his sweat drip in the gelcoat while spraying and it left an imperfection.

Randy Swears has a contract on his 2004 38'(it has the extended engine compartment so in my opinion it has more value than others) , if the deal falls through I will be at his doorstep in a New York minute with a back up contract- enough said.

Fox Sea 5 belongs to Dr. Fox, the boat is serviced at TNT and is frequently seen in Ocean Reef in Key Largo. I would not deal with Beav if my life depended on it. Do a search on this site about the Beaver. If you are interested in buying Fox Sea I can easily get you the owners number.

The white boat was the first one built and the one I ran with Danny. It was the heaviest of all the boats as the lamination schedule was lightened after that one was built. Not sure the power in it now but it had Cobras in it at the time. It ran great and at 70 mph you could do a 90 degree turn with no feeling of the steps hooking.

The hull had a different design which I will not get in to here as there are too many opinions, but it made sense and seemed to work.

What is one worth? Like anything else, what one guy is willing to write a check for it.

As far as your Big Scotty comment, well never mind I guess you dont know me that well.

OSO 03-03-2006 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jassman
As much as I use to like PP, and Midnight, that was a poor representation of a 38 that anyone could have at a show. Boat was extremely dirty, caulk everywhere was dulled out and yellowing, seats had been restitched poorly, and then you have all that extra room behind bolsters, which could have incorporated an additional set of bolsters to fill that area. The cabin reminded me of something back in the 80's, monkey fur on the sides and headliner. The sides were relatively straight,(being white but dirty helped) but not perfect, to me it looked liked the molds were getting old and might not been taken that well of care of. Rub rail installation in one area could have improved. Just my observations on it. Jeff

That is a great boat if you want an outboard boat. That boat has hours on it, that is why your observations.

As far as the molds being old and not being taken care of, why do you say that? That boat was built by Danny and the molds were always taken care of, always out of the sun and rain. There probably has not been 15 boats popped off that mold.

Not tyring to discredit your post but I am stating the facts.

offshoredrillin 03-03-2006 07:09 AM

good info!!! i have always liked the looks of them, would it be hard to make a 33 with sit down like a gladiator?

WesSmith 03-03-2006 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by OSOAdmin
Yes I was in the thick of things considering Powerplay was in my back yard. I also had a 33 totally custom built from the ground up while the 38 was being born and breast fed. I was at the factory every day for months.

Powerplays were considered Ferraris in South Florida, most of the new boat buyers were very wealthy cash buyers. They were not known to the rest of the World because they did not have dealers and the marketing dollars were limited.

I will leave it at this, Danny built one of the best boats in the World, was one of the best Salesman I have ever met, he just could not run a business.

Of the three Powerplays I owned, the only problem I ever had with one was the stereo broke. Never a stress crack, never even a screw loose. I watched Danny take the console of a 33 one day and trash it because one of the glass guys let some of his sweat drip in the gelcoat while spraying and it left an imperfection.

Randy Swears has a contract on his 2004 38'(it has the extended engine compartment so in my opinion it has more value than others) , if the deal falls through I will be at his doorstep in a New York minute with a back up contract- enough said.

Fox Sea 5 belongs to Dr. Fox, the boat is serviced at TNT and is frequently seen in Ocean Reef in Key Largo. I would not deal with Beav if my life depended on it. Do a search on this site about the Beaver. If you are interested in buying Fox Sea I can easily get you the owners number.

The white boat was the first one built and the one I ran with Danny. It was the heaviest of all the boats as the lamination schedule was lightened after that one was built. Not sure the power in it now but it had Cobras in it at the time.

What is one worth? Like anything else, what one guy is willing to write a check for it.

As far as your Big Scotty comment, well never mind I guess you dont know me that well.

What a great post....actual facts and real experience.

My 33 was 12 years old when I bought it and was perfect with no cracks whatsoever and solid as a rock.

Its really a shame Danny couldn't find someone to actually run the business side of Powerplay so he could stick to building boats....

OSO 03-03-2006 07:32 AM

Danny had several people over the years that were willing to buy the company and fund the company but all he wanted was the check and still run it the way he wanted. An open check book per say. No one with the money to do this would allow these conditions. Therefore the name, Powerplay, it was his personality. He had his wife running the books and his sister answering the phones. It was a self destructive situation.

The Wizard 03-03-2006 07:39 AM

I too loved my 33 Sport deck. One day I'm going to buy another 33 and make it a 3 man bolster, dual helm, put a pair of 800's (like I had before) and do the poker runs with it. Man...that would be a blast and....it wouldn't cost that much money. ah...this thread brings back memories...

Ozman

baja27 03-03-2006 08:14 AM

Hey Ozman,
What did it run with 800's? Mine has 640's and run low 90's. They are great boats :drink:

SKRAMER 03-03-2006 08:58 AM

Cigarette