Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Memorial day Weekend on St. Johns River (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/123994-memorial-day-weekend-st-johns-river.html)

Dean Ferry 03-08-2006 07:02 AM

Re: Memorial day Weekend on St. Johns River

Andy and Dail,
Go to Earth Goggle and type in "2317 River Ridge Road, Deland Fl. 32720". It will show the St. Johns river north and south of Hontoon's. We might want to make a trip south down the river one of the days also. I think there are fewer Manatee Zones going south from Hontoon's
Dean

cuda 03-08-2006 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Nope, your right it's 17/92! Cuda had a brain fart. :D Cuda, is that the ramp just north Lake Monroe where Callan Marine goes to test in Monroe?
Dean

Exactly. It's far and away the best ramp on the river.

cuda 03-08-2006 07:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
There is a ramp at the end of Highbanks Road where DanB is moving to. I saw BruceK launch is 40 footer there. It's right next to the Swamp House Grill.

cuda 03-08-2006 07:28 AM

Dean, I live about a half mile from the 44 ramp. I don't like it. It's too damn steep. I have trouble getting even my small Donzi's on the trailer there. They want to "stab" the trailer because of the incline. The river is way down right now, making it even worse.

If you go south of Hontoon, there is a LOT of idle zone. I got pulled over there last year. Some of the signs are misleading. I had a water cop behind me for about two miles. I was going at idle speed, then I came to a sign that said "slow speed". I looked on the other side of the sign, and it said "idle speed", so I assumed that meant the 30 mph speed. I jumped up on a plane, and here he came. I told him I thought I was obeying the signs. I pointed out how the signs said two different things. He knew I wasn't trying to be an Outlaw, because he had followed me for two miles. He wrote me a warning.

cuda 03-08-2006 07:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I knew I had a shot of Mr Ferry and company somewhere. :) This is at the Hwy 44 bridge in Deland.

Also, my warning.:(

Dean Ferry 03-08-2006 08:16 AM

Cuda,
What do you suggest for which boat ramp we should use?
I used the SR 44 ramp last year, and you are right, it took like 3 trys to get the Nordic on the trailer, plus if was raining like crazy. If the water level doesn't come up, will we be able to use the SR 44 Ramp? I don't think you can leave a vehicle over night @ the 17/92 ramp can you?
Dean

Andy0331 03-08-2006 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by cuda
Do you mean from 44? 40 is Astor.

Nope, I'm wondering how far from 40, since I'm coming over from Ocala. I know it's not too far from 40 to Deland, but I haven't driven that far south.

cuda 03-08-2006 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Andy0331
Nope, I'm wondering how far from 40, since I'm coming over from Ocala. I know it's not too far from 40 to Deland, but I haven't driven that far south.

By river it's about two or three miles to Lake George, and about three miles after entering Lake George to the Glen. Is that what you were asking?

cuda 03-08-2006 08:49 AM

Oops, just reread the post. It'a about 17 miles from Astor to Deland bridge. There is absolutely nothing along the way, just beautiful undeveloped land The Ocala National Forest on the west side, and Lake Woodruff National Wildlife Sanctuary on the east side. No idle zones in between.

cuda 03-08-2006 08:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Cuda,
I don't think you can leave a vehicle over night @ the 17/92 ramp can you?
Dean

I'm not sure. If I get a chance, I'll stop by there and ask. There is a nice ramp in Sanford that I think you can park overnight. It only takes a couple minutes to get to the river. No speed limit in the lake. :)