Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Memorial day Weekend on St. Johns River (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/123994-memorial-day-weekend-st-johns-river.html)

Dean Ferry 04-17-2006 03:10 PM

Re: Memorial day Weekend on St. Johns River

Soooo, what's the boat count for this event? :D It's getting closer all the time! :drink:
Dean

UNSANE 04-17-2006 03:24 PM

I'm still on the fence, I'm not sure if I'll be in O town that weekend or not.

Andy0331 04-17-2006 03:39 PM

I'm still in.. probably just a day trip though. Not quite sure yet.

Andy

Shorgasm 04-17-2006 05:02 PM

We are going out this coming weekend and stay saturday night on the boat.I gotta do an all night A/C & genny workout to see how she handles our abusiveness.. :evilb: I think we got two more big cruisers coming out.We did go out two weekends ago when it rained real bad..the Glen is Low..The Lake is Low...I mean LOW.From the idle marker in the lake to the mouth of the run of the Glen it was 2-3 feet at best.BUT still I couldn't make myself stay out on the lake.The wind the idiots...Not to mention the good stuff starts when the sun drops...The 40 ramp can be a PITA if your not good with the sticks.You also gotta be a bit cautious of the "day boaters"..Rude is a word that comes to mind..

UNSANE 04-17-2006 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Shorgasm
We are going out this coming weekend and stay saturday night on the boat.I gotta do an all night A/C & genny workout to see how she handles our abusiveness.. :evilb: I think we got two more big cruisers coming out.We did go out two weekends ago when it rained real bad..the Glen is Low..The Lake is Low...I mean LOW.From the idle marker in the lake to the mouth of the run of the Glen it was 2-3 feet at best.BUT still I couldn't make myself stay out on the lake.The wind the idiots...Not to mention the good stuff starts when the sun drops...The 40 ramp can be a PITA if your not good with the sticks.You also gotta be a bit cautious of the "day boaters". Bass Boaters.Rude is a word that comes to mind..

I was out there 2 weeks ago and still a little sore from the thrill ride. The Georgetown side of the lake was sporting bona fide 4+ footers with almost no space between them. Got a schooling on rough water and even though it was fun for me, I did see 18 foot bowriders heading to the Glen going up and down the wakes. They even had people riding up front and they looked at me like I WAS crazy for doing 50 :rolleyes: I did get into the Glen and some people from a little Rinker or something were going around looking for help because they about bled their gas tank dry getting there and didn't have enough to get back. Same thing at that 40 ramp, someone there in an 18' Bayliner made it to Astor only to find the gas pumps closed so they had to call someone to come get their truck keys, go back to the 44 ramp, get their truck and come back. Better off then the poor dumb bassterds at the Glen. And yes the water was low. My Depthfinder is stiil on the fritz so I tried to plane out at the marker and discovered that a 6000 pound boat prefers to plane in water, not mud (no damage, just some drag) So I had to go out another 100 feet or so. I hope the rains come soon, it's been very dry so far this year. That 40 ramp is tricky with the winds sometimes, now I'm thankful that I've had a lifetime of doing this because my dad made me load the damn boat all the time when I was kid! Thanks POPS!!! :drink:

Shorgasm 04-17-2006 07:09 PM

You probably saw us..we had a 29PC Formula Cruiser and my 26 Crownline...I've got a shaved head but I was sporting the cap..We got there about 7pm sat and left around 1ish Sunday.

UNSANE 04-17-2006 10:06 PM

I took out at Astor around 7pm, so I'm not sure I remember a Forumla PC but a Crownline does sound familiar. The people begging for help "Gas" were beached on the southside of the run across from a house boat or two and a little Stingray. They brought no money, no CC's and no common sense. They got crab trap line around their prop and came to me begging for tools and help just as I started my motor to leave. :mad:

Shorgasm 04-18-2006 10:07 AM

I came back by myself..we had the dinghy behind the boat the entire way across the lake..it sucked.

Funny, as I pulled into the Glen I to got line wrapped around my drive.Enough to stall the motor in reverse everytime..not fun.Along with 1 friggin bad battery out of two...1st trip with her and a loooong list of fixes when I got home..all done now.The best included a trim-tab switch that was lying to me...made for an interesting corner lean angle in the river. :eek:

I remember someone talking about the little boat that ran out of gas...Hmm...My Crownline is ALL(most are striped under the rubrail) white with a green top.

Dean Ferry 04-18-2006 10:13 AM

Andy or Shor,
Did you guys see what the SR44 boat ramp looked like, as far as depth? That is the ramp we are going to use while staying @ Hontoon's?
Thanks,
Dean

UNSANE 04-18-2006 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shorgasm
I came back by myself..we had the dinghy behind the boat the entire way across the lake..it sucked.

Funny, as I pulled into the Glen I to got line wrapped around my drive.Enough to stall the motor in reverse everytime..not fun.Along with 1 friggin bad battery out of two...1st trip with her and a loooong list of fixes when I got home..all done now.The best included a trim-tab switch that was lying to me...made for an interesting corner lean angle in the river. :eek:

I remember someone talking about the little boat that ran out of gas...Hmm...My Crownline is ALL(most are striped under the rubrail) white with a green top.

I think I remember a green topped boat. I beached my Fountain in the Glen for a little while. This boat that was out of fuel was a 18 footer at most. Getting the line around the prop sucked. Even though I was huffed at the timing of their asking, I loaned them some tools and hung around for a while. I still do help out when I can. :drink: