Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Whats the skinny on Galveston area (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124041-whats-skinny-galveston-area.html)

yahoo 03-05-2006 05:56 PM

Re: Whats the skinny on Galveston area

You have togo approx 10 miles offshore for green water, further for blue water. Sometimes in the heat of the summer it gets closer.

The gulf is almost always rough

CM

spk1 03-06-2006 03:58 AM

The Water is ugly at times, but some of the reason for the lower pricing is how dead thing get there in the winter. In the past few years Tilman (Landry, kemah Boadwalk), and the Moodys, have dropped alot of money into Galveston, you never know if that will boost the economy there or not because of the incredible seasonal shifts in the economy, but I believe the water front home deals are well worth it, and getting in with the island crowd will offer you many luxuries of small town living. I lived the for a few years after college. My family and I have been members of the Galveston Yacht Club and Basin for almost 20 years. Getting out to deep water for fishing is a bit different from how it is in florida, 50-60 miles to decent water. Clear lake is about an hour by boat, (maybe less depending on the speed of your boat. ) In the tiki island area and bayou vista (the bridge in bayou vista limits the size of boat you can have), you will have a hard time staying off the oyser reefs and at low tide don't even think about it. But look off of techmain port industrial blvd. there are homes to the left off of offaits bayou that provide excellent storm coverage for your boat, I think its 20-30ft deep right behind the homes, and on one side there is a nice inlet that you can bring a 50-60ft hatteras right up behind your home. Turn right on Teichman and there are a few pretty nice homes right on the ship channel (you can get off shore much faster from this side). To make a long story short, Galveston in my opinion is not bad for a second summer home, you can not beat the price if you own a boat that is too large to trailer. Living there year round is nice, but the winter really takes some getting used to. Oh yea most importantly, the ghetto area which was referred to earlier will not bother you, and you probably will not notice it if you live near or on the water, hmm wonder why that is, ehhe. :drink:

spk1 03-06-2006 04:15 AM

I know I wrote a book in my previous post, just to short hand the whole deal.
Galveston is best suited for off shore fishing activities, and summer time living.
Top Spin is right, SeaBrook and Clear Lake is probably a much better choice if recreational boating is on your mind, or year round living. In fact thats where I live now and it suits me perfectly.
But should you need help finding a place or more insider type info in Galveston, I have real close ties with The Hometown Bank of Galveston, and its V.P. who has lived on the island his entire life. :drink:

Dueclaws 03-06-2006 09:18 AM

Some of the last "affordable" waterfront is in this area, but homes in the Clear Lake area (waterfront) are considerably more than $200,000.
This view is from my backyard.
Due

bglz42 03-06-2006 11:07 AM

I'm a longtime resident of the Galveston/Clear Lake area, and I love it here. Tons to do, lots of great boats (and boaters) in the area. Yeah, there is prettier water to be had (we had clear water for much of the year last year...), but the cost of living and the Texas hospitality is worth it!

It takes 30 minutes to get to the Galveston Channel from Kemah (at 50mph), and there are some great restaurants and bars scattered around the bay. Some good Poker Runs throughout the year, too.

Chris00011 03-06-2006 05:58 PM

Just got a brochure in the mail today for an auction on April 1 in Port Bolivar, across the ferry from Galveston if your interested. www.christenson-elms.com , then click on Laguna homesites.