Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   whos running power inverters and how many watts is your unit (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124143-whos-running-power-inverters-how-many-watts-your-unit.html)

ratman 03-06-2006 10:41 AM

whos running power inverters and how many watts is your unit

i just installed a 1200 watt inverter and was wondering if it will power a small a/c unit like 5 or 6k btu's while under way. anyone else doing this? thx, rm

bglz42 03-06-2006 10:50 AM

Re: whos running power inverters and how many watts is your unit

No, it won't.

jb 03-06-2006 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by bglz42
No, it won't.

well thats to the point. can you explain?

t500hps 03-06-2006 12:39 PM

I just ordered a 5K unit and have looked into doing the same thing. I was told I needed a 2K inverter that surges to 3K to run it. Of course the batteries will only last a few hours before they are dead unless you have an extra 400-500 amps hours to spare overnight. The better option is to spend $1K and buy one of those 2k Honda portable gensets. (I'll be buying the genset in a few weeks.)

bglz42 03-06-2006 12:45 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude...

A 1200 watt inverter will not start an air conditioner of any kind. Just doesn't have the oomph. I know, I tried it... I have a tiny little a/c unit on my old Trojan. Plugged it in, and turned it on, fan only at first. It would barely turn the fan. Then switched on the a/c. Throws the overload switch every time. I even tried it with a Honda 1000 generator. No way. It would take at least a 3k inverter and a ton of batteries.

The Honda 2000 will do it. Nice unit. I'm looking at buying one too.

Jim

CAVelocity 03-06-2006 03:59 PM

My father has a 1000 Watt (2000 watt peak) inverter on his cruising boat. I am not sure what the BTU of his A/C is, but it was probably the smallest he could find. It is just barely enough to start the A/C. He has a very large 12V house battery (size 4D?) and it will run the A/C for a few hours (enough to get through the night and be comfortable). He is planning on getting a 2000 watt Honda in the future.

RJ1340 03-06-2006 09:11 PM

Three words: generator, shore power

Byrdman 03-06-2006 10:15 PM

It seems like you always need double and triple the watts inverter to do what power you need....even if the wires and connections are bigger....and with nothing charging batteries...forget it.there are bigger units with bigger altenators..they will do the job...people are geting used to this small stuff on market these days....there is some big stuff that can run lots of things...40 lb wt.....175 amp alt..after it is in there....no big deal...no gas...fumes.....dockside is dockside