Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What is freeboard? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124401-what-freeboard.html)

onesickpantera 03-11-2006 07:22 PM

Re: What is freeboard?

1 Attachment(s)
Check out the freeboard and cockpit depth on the Unlimited. :eek: :D

rouxsterre 03-11-2006 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Not all shears are broken in SF's.
Viking doesnt.
Hattarass doesnt.
ACY doesnt.
Yes, they all have shears that drop off, so you can have a fishing cockpit.
And I dont use a transom door for bluefish for flounder fishing.
I use a net.
And I bet the transom height on a 38-42 SF is higher than a cig/apache/nortech or any other HP boat.
You want a nice high bow to be able to run bigger seas.
Check out the pics of my dads knowles. This is a great sea boat.

I think that somehow you misinterpreted my post.
First, it is clearly obvious that not ALL SF'ers have a broken shear, but a broken shear is most often found on SF'er ( for the fighting cockpit ) . . .
Second, there are many 'Hats' that feature a broken shear. Look to the 44's and above.
Third. Hell you can land a bluefish or a flounder from the flybridge.
Your DAD's Knowles looks like a nice seaworthy hull, but I don't think you are enlightening anyone, in stating that "You want a nice high bow for bigger seas" . . . . correct. You sure don't want a 'jet-boat' profile for bluewater navigation. . . .

Hopefully we are clear now.

Hydrocruiser 03-11-2006 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Free-board is the distance from the waterline stripe to the top of the Sunbrella enclosure...geez do I have to explain everything to you guys or what?

...notice the skill of this boater who chooses to "drop anchor" at the dock instead of "tying up"....well what would you do if all your cleats fell off?? :D

JUKED YOU 03-11-2006 09:40 PM

wow.....awsome thread, anyone else have subway tonight?

cuda 03-11-2006 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by birdog
If the majority of us {Performance boaters} think that Freeboard = Cockpit depth then The majority of us {Performance boaters} need to do some reading... :D

Start with "Chapmans"....Our "bible" :D

:)

cuda 03-11-2006 09:53 PM

I think free board can be measured at any point on the boat, then define where the measurement was taken. For instance, a boat may have 24 inches of freeboard at the transom, and 36 inches of freeboard at the helm. And as always, I refer to freeboard as to how much of the hull is out of the water.

cuda 03-11-2006 09:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by fund razor

Still love Formulas tho... despite the lowish freeboard.

Au, contrair! They weren't always that way. Check out this 255 Formula I saw at the Boat Hospital a couple weeks ago. The first thing I thought of was the massive amount of freeboard.:)

cuda 03-11-2006 10:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Now, my Mx14 Checkmate is a good example of low freeboard. :eek:
I never chop the throttle in it. :D

JUKED YOU 03-11-2006 10:02 PM

cudas got a good point, that thing is preatty dang tall

cuda 03-11-2006 10:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
When I bought my first new boat back in 1988, I was specifically looking for a smaller center console with the most freeboard, and a wide beam. Show me another 18 foot CC with this much freeboard, and an eight foot beam. I've never felt scared in this boat, and I had it out in some chit I had no business being in. I knew if I could stay in the boat, the boat can take more than I can, and WILL make it back to the dock. :)

That's one of the reasons I still have this boat. :)