Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What is freeboard? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124401-what-freeboard.html)

fund razor 03-12-2006 07:14 AM

Re: What is freeboard?

Hey Cuda, if that Formula was any older it would be a Thunderbird. :D

I had a 1979 Nova 210XL that had super high freeboard like that.
22 feet long and like 10 feet tall on the trailer. :D
Super high transom too.

Was out in stuff so nasty in that boat that it was more like surfing than boating.

Chuck 03-12-2006 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Here's what can happen if there's not enough freeboard:
:eek: :eek:

Is that from the Lake Cumberland Poker Run last Sept.?

Hot Boat 03-12-2006 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by noboat
Hot Boat, did you do the conversion yourself? Did you have to relocate throttles, shifters, etc or modify the helm? Any before and after pic.

Nice looking Scarab by the way! :D

I have some before photos but no after. I will be pulling the boat out of storage soon . I'll try and post photos in the next few weeks in the Scarab forum.

The seats are from Twin marine. I find them more comfortable that the PPI seats. The steering wheel was moved 7" closer to the seat and the throttle was relocated as well. Trick marine has a pod to relocate your throttle. I made my own seat brackets out of 2" X 6" angle aluminum. We are going to make a center console between the seats to locate the throttle in the middle so that I can have a throttle man.

US1 Fountain 03-12-2006 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck
Is that from the Lake Cumberland Poker Run last Sept.?

That pic looked like a Fountain. The boat from the poker run that flipped and sunk near the falls was a Nordic.

US1 Fountain 03-12-2006 08:28 AM

So my 'freeboard' is anything from 4' to 1'......right? I measure with one of those self roll up steel yard sticks. :drink:
For the record, I always considered it to be from the cockpit floor to the top side also. But I ain't reading no boaters 'bible' to learn otherwise. ;)

Chuck 03-12-2006 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
That pic looked like a Fountain. The boat from the poker run that flipped and sunk near the falls was a Nordic.

Thanks.

birdog 03-12-2006 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)

This is the Cumberland PR boat {Nordic}..It had nothing to do with Freeboard...Sometning about tight turns, steps & speed :D

US1 Fountain 03-12-2006 08:50 AM

Well, acccording the owners friend who just happened to be there also, it was a mechanical issue. He was trimming while making that turn and one of the drives did not trim. Amazing, the roughest, sharpest, wildest wild, and tightest turn on the lake, and it decides to malfunction right there. It's never operator error. :D

birdog 03-12-2006 09:01 AM

Well, acccording the owners friend who just happened to be there also, it was a mechanical issue. He was trimming while making that turn and one of the drives did not trim. Amazing, the roughest, sharpest, wildest wild, and tightest turn on the lake, and it decides to malfunction right there. It's never operator error. :D

Of course not !!! :D

I loved that turn in the Bullet...Nobody ever hung with me there ! :D

fund razor 03-12-2006 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by birdog
This is the Cumberland PR boat {Nordic}..It had nothing to do with Freeboard...Sometning about tight turns, steps & speed :D

If that guy wants to flip it back up he needs to get out on the bow farther. :D

I guess that's the redeeming factor on my slow azz ride.
No steps, no pads, no speed. :D

I can turn however I want. :D (well, you know what I mean.)