Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What is freeboard? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124401-what-freeboard.html)

birdog 03-12-2006 09:15 AM

Re: What is freeboard?

Originally Posted by fund razor
If that guy wants to flip it back up he needs to get out on the bow farther. :D

I guess that's the redeeming factor on my slow azz ride.
No steps, no pads, no speed. :D

I can turn however I want. :D (well, you know what I mean.)

He was attaching a line {Looked like Ski rope :D }Another boat tryed to tow it but the line broke..Good Idea just needed
heavier line...After that it was to late.. :(
Feel bad for the guy..I heard it was a new boat

Downtown42 03-12-2006 11:11 AM

42" in my 42'...more great stuff from Fountain. :evilb:

Stormrider 03-13-2006 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
I think that somehow you misinterpreted my post.
First, it is clearly obvious that not ALL SF'ers have a broken shear, but a broken shear is most often found on SF'er ( for the fighting cockpit ) . . .
Second, there are many 'Hats' that feature a broken shear. Look to the 44's and above.
Third. Hell you can land a bluefish or a flounder from the flybridge.
Your DAD's Knowles looks like a nice seaworthy hull, but I don't think you are enlightening anyone, in stating that "You want a nice high bow for bigger seas" . . . . correct. You sure don't want a 'jet-boat' profile for bluewater navigation. . . .

Hopefully we are clear now.

I hear ya...
For SF boats, cockpit depth is important. You want the coaming to be above the knee to about mid thigh. Any higher and it won't give you the ability to get your knees under the gunnel and hang on while having two hands on the rod.

Freeboard up in the bow is also important, to give you headroom in the cabin, w/o having to pop the deck above the sheer, giving you a trunk cabin.

But you are saying you are concerned w/ the lowest point of freeboard on the boat, which should be the stern. So you would be concerned w/ water coming over the back... correct?

Stormrider 03-13-2006 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by noboat
Storm, you're right the bolsters are very nice in my 24. Like I said I haven't even driven the boat yet. But standing in the bolsters and being so high above everything feels "weird" for lack of a better word.
:D

I used to bend my knees and squat down. It got me a bit lower in the boat, and helped absorb the shocks better.

Wobble 03-13-2006 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor
Me too....

I can't wait to to plot a course on my maps and cast off the ropes. :D

Charts, Lines :evilb:

MnFastBoat 03-13-2006 12:24 PM

It used to OSO :eek:

RJ1340 03-19-2006 02:33 PM

They call it "freeboard", but remember this: In boating, nothing's free.