Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   exhausts for 496 engines ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124448-exhausts-496-engines.html)

Too Old 03-10-2006 08:43 AM

Re: exhausts for 496 engines ?

Originally Posted by Chris288
.......the dyno sheet I thought I remembered seeing only 42 hp ?? so that makes them worth about 27 .....

Chris......tighten up brother. They have meds to help with that short term memory.:D

The dyno sheets posted showed in excess of 55 hp. :drink:

Too Old 03-10-2006 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by kr1276
I have been wanting the CMI's also. The problem is they are not compatible with the Corsa Quick and Quiet Plus. I would spend the money if it were a direct bolt on. Now I have to change the complete exhaust system which adds additional $$$$

Want no more......well, maybe jus a little more. ;)

Look for the introduction of the CMI 496 header kit which WILL BE COMPATABLE with the corsa system in April. :D :D

Chris288 03-10-2006 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by TRICK
Chris......tighten up brother. They have meds to help with that short term memory.:D

The dyno sheets posted showed in excess of 55 hp. :drink:

Fred, Not to be a ball-buster.. but if you didn't delete the majority of your threads I wouldn't have to remember, I'd be able to do a search and find out...

Too Old 03-10-2006 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chris288
Fred, Not to be a ball-buster.. but if you didn't delete the majority of your threads I wouldn't have to remember, I'd be able to do a search and find out...

No problem Chris.....I looked down just last year and they were still intact. :D

But heck all this information is available at CMI's website:

www.custommarine.com

NEENAH, WI -- July 7, 2005 -- Custom Marine, Incorporated (CMI) has announced the introduction of a new custom exhaust package specifically designed to enhance the overall performance of any sport boat equipped with a propulsion system powered by a 496 engine. Equipping an engine with the exclusive CMI stainless steel 496 Sport Tube™ Performance Package is sure to attract attention at any dock. But it's on the water where this package will really turn heads. Simply adding this package to any stock 496 will result in adding nearly 60 more horsepower, boost mid-range torque by nearly 14 percent, boost fuel economy across the power curve and improve the engine's overall running quality.

"With the introduction of the 496 Sport Tube Performance Package CMI can address the needs of a very key segment of the performance boating marketplace," said Joe Zelinski, founder and president of CMI. "Until now, installing headers on a 496 package required having a machine and parts shop close by to create the necessary components required to make room for headers. With the CMI 496 Sport Tube Performance Package, performance enthusiasts can simply order our complete, easy-to-install kit."

The CMI 496 Sport Tube Performance Package comes complete with a pair of water-cooled headers made of 316-series polished stainless steel and required mounting hardware. Also included is CMI's exclusive 496 Relocation Kit, which includes all brackets, hoses and hardware needed to make relocation of select engine components easier and create adequate room for CMI's high-tech tube-style headers. Stock CMI tailpipes designed to fit a transom hole layout that is consistent with a standard Mercrusier® Bravo Drive transom hole pattern completes the 496 Sport Tube Performance Package.

The CMI 496 Sport Tube Performance Package is designed for application on all 496 engines.

jrz 03-10-2006 09:22 AM

The new Corsa tail adaptor is in reversion testing now. As for the rest of this thread, thank you Fred.

Kanookstr 03-12-2006 01:35 PM

Now this sounds more like it.. :p

We kind of decided to go ahead and offer a fix for the Merc 496 manifolds that some not so deep pocket boaters can afford. We have done a lot of flow bench work on the Merc 496 stock aluminum manifolds on our heads and we have developed a CNC program where we can run existing manifolds thru our 5-axis CNC machine and add some pretty nice cfm flow enhancements. This should also be very helpful to the guys worried about warranties and those adding superchargers and other power upgrades. We will be offering these reworked manifolds on an exchange basis at a very affordable cost. I will post the actual pricing very soon. Any body who has some stock manifolds around email sales @ raylarengine.com and we will most likely be buying up a few sets to get ahead of the demand. Again, Raylar tries to meet the simple needs of 496 owners without "deep-pockets"!!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
.Actual post location

blaniac 03-12-2006 04:39 PM

I went with th Revolution Marine exhaust for my twin Raylar 600 project, but we made some plumbing mods and they seem to work very well. They have a polished that looks nice and is very affordable or you can go the Raylar method mentioned above for probably even less money. I think the CMI system is a rip off personally.

http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/...revexh-med.jpg

26sonic 03-12-2006 06:39 PM

Raylar great news!!! keep us posted when the manifolds and pricing become avaiable !!!!!

Canada Jeff 03-13-2006 11:10 AM

What about warranty issues? Buddy of mine was in Miami for the show last month and asked the same question to Bob Teaque and some Merc who was at the teaque booth. Both said it won't affect warranty.

If thats the case, it's a another bonus for the cmi system.

Fred, any input on the warranty coverage?

Kanookstr 03-13-2006 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by blaniac
I think the CMI system is a rip off personally.

I have to disagree. Tubular headers are expensive no mater what.
Does the price justify the HP gains?? NO WAY!!!
For that kind of money you can spend it elsewhere on the engine and get higher results.

For the bling and quality, They are NOT a rip off.
If I had bling money I would own a pair.
But I don't have bling money so I am opting to remove the turbulator plates and spend the bling money for 100+ HP mods, gas, and dinner for the family... :D