Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   If you owned a Marina..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124472-if-you-owned-marina.html)

ToTheMax 03-10-2006 06:59 PM

Re: If you owned a Marina.....

I live in a small town on Georgian Bay that literally has 10 marinas in a space of 3 miles. The best ones have dredging equipment (due to the fluctuating water levels of the great lakes), not just regular and high octane gas at the pumps, but mid-grade and 50:1 also. They also have good parts stores and large winter storage facilities. Some have rec facilities and gyms and one even has a small hotel too. Come to think of it, I guess that a marina can have everything, but to me, competitive prices and A1 customer services does it for me.

TeamSaris 03-10-2006 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ToTheMax
I live in a small town on Georgian Bay that literally has 10 marinas in a space of 3 miles. The best ones have dredging equipment (due to the fluctuating water levels of the great lakes), not just regular and high octane gas at the pumps, but mid-grade and 50:1 also. They also have good parts stores and large winter storage facilities. Some have rec facilities and gyms and one even has a small hotel too. Come to think of it, I guess that a marina can have everything, but to me, competitive prices and A1 customer services does it for me.

I own a marina. Went to the bay for a poker run. Nice town!

drypipetiger 03-10-2006 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by MegaByte*3
As for sailboaters: usually, they show up on friday night with a $20 bill and a t-shirt. They would make it through the weekend without changing either one.

Seriously, I had a written policy charging sailboaters double the haul cost for travel-lift service and a minimum hourly fee for stepping masts with the forklift. They are just not worth it. A sailboater wil say "but I only need it for about ten minutes, not an hour". Your response should be to politely tell them to get their own $400K forklift and do it somewhere else.

I'm glad to hear someone handles these cheap fu#ks appropriately. Marina's that cater to them seem to have no clue the coin they're sacrificing.

TeamSaris 03-10-2006 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
I'm glad to hear someone handles these cheap fu#ks appropriately. Marina's that cater to them seem to have no clue the coin they're sacrificing.

We have never worked on a sailboat in our 20+ years career.

drypipetiger 03-10-2006 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
We have never worked on a sailboat in our 20+ years career.

Thats one hell of a career for a twelve year old... :D

cowisl 03-10-2006 07:59 PM

One thing about rack storage. Make sure you have enough dock space for boats on a busy weekend. You will have a lot customers giving you hell if they have to wait for their boat.

waybomb 03-10-2006 09:36 PM

I'm going to call some of you marina owners Monday.

Panther 03-10-2006 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by drypipetiger

Charge the sailboaters $2.50 a gallon for water! :eek:

29scarab 03-11-2006 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
i would have hookers............ :drink:

RIGHT ON!!!!! :evilb: :D

waybomb 03-11-2006 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Panther
Charge the sailboaters $2.50 a gallon for water! :eek:

I hate these damn bloboaters. I was at my Cougar pulling the drives today. Some guy, clearly a sailboater, comes up to me and starts asking questions about what i was doing, and "oh, why does it have three drives, does it have 3 engines", so I tell him yup, 3 572s. He says the boat is too loud and the water is everybody's so why do I have to ruin it for him; he's seen me on the lake. I just told him I'll make sure I find him on the lake and burn a few hundred doing circles around him in the summer. What an ass. He walked away pissed.
If the ass would have kept at it, I would have laid into him about sails up in harbors, tacking in the breakwall, being a slob, leaning at a 30 degree lkist, and dump the stoopid hat. But I pissed him before it got to that.

If this deal goes through, I will actively work at replacing them all. What a bunch of morons.