Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Great Moments In V Bottom History >

Great Moments In V Bottom History

Notices

Great Moments In V Bottom History

Old 09-04-2001, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T2x, Humorous? Most definitely, Factual? Absolutely. Bravo for your accurate and long awaited definition of “revolutionary” boat designers. I must agree with each and every one of your points. I too have owned a few boats over the years, and I am happy to say not many have been “ invented” by these “revolutionary” designers. As for Mr. Aronow, he certainly knew where to find his customer base, the popular watering holes of South Florida, New Jersey, and New York. Mr. Fountain also is a marketing genius, spend enough money on advertising and eventually people will believe. Of all the boats I have had, my 21’ Challenger, and Skater have been the most amazing “Non Revolutionary” boats of all time. Both of these designs follow the time tested “K.I.S.S” Rule, Keep it simple stupid. More MPH per HP then anything in their class. Remember, cram enough HP in a bathtub it will go fast, but it still is a bathtub. Keep up the good work.

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: Philip ]
Old 09-04-2001, 11:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts
Hard to disagree with the history lesson (not to much of a revisionsit). Like the call on the Sutphen's - good choice.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:01 AM
BACK 4 MORE

Red face

I know that there are about a half dozen good boat builders out there but why does everyone bash Fountains?
Are they really **** or am i caught up in the marketing hipe?
I really like mine ...it fits me perfectly, im 5'9" tall wife is 5'1" and is comfortable for us, handles the ruff stuff well, very soild, looks good, and its even fast too.
And then when you tell them thats its a 42 footer they tell you its really not and so on.
From now on i guess im just going to have to say that its the 9700 pound Fountain.

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: BACK 4 MORE ]

Old 09-05-2001, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 20 Posts
back4more- Must be the gold chains thing, But Im with you, there's nothing you can say bad about a Fountain,
Old 09-05-2001, 11:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts
Too Old, with all due respect not everything in every post is valid and accurate (nor Am I naive). Most people viewing this site have demonstrated a fair bit knowledge regarding boat history (offshore boats). My experience in offshore boats started in 1969, while no expert I do know a little. The response to Rabco in a different post was good, I remember Rabco Boats, and Randy Rabe from his days of coming to races at Point Pleasant, NJ. As far as history in this post, the development of the Fountain from the Roy Farmer Excalibur is not disputable, but the 32' Hustler was around about the same time as Signature Boats which appears to be inaccurate - but so what. The post has more shock value than anything, look at the number of responses - which is good. Here is some more history, while there has been a recent incident with a 38' stepped bottom Hustler rolling and the debate of stepped bottom boats lacking agility in high speed turns (boat, and or driver's error); I watched a 27' Signature - straight V-bottom - barrel roll in a race on Barnegat Bay (NJ) in the late 70's or early 80's, the driver was killed. While the propensity to spin out, or hook and roll may be greater in a stepped bottom V, but it has happened in straight bottom V's also. While this point has nothing really to do with this original content of this post, I do not post every day, or for that matter every month, nor do I intend to, so I have spoke my peace for now - as you indicated - you can't believe everything that is posted - but it does make for some interesting reading. Keep on Moderating.

PS I only thought people in the Carolinas that had experience in Offshore boats 70's and 80's were the gas stations attendants who filled the tow vehicle's gas tank on there way to FL, in order to boat for the winter, (or delivering their new boats north)?
Old 09-07-2001, 09:11 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Old School:
FYI......
Signature boats started production in the 70's.... Founder was killed violently.

Hustler started production in the mid to later 80's....

I stand by my original post.
Old 09-18-2001, 10:15 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Too Old--- Not sure how I earned your "revisionist" label...... I prefer "revisited" or "realistic".

T2x
Old 09-18-2001, 10:45 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
T2x Thanks for "revisiting" and keep them coming. I grew up in Edison and had no idea Don had ties to that aera. Sure glad he stopped building houses and moved to Fla. t build boats.
Old 09-18-2001, 12:21 PM
Offhanded

Questions:
1. Is the 37' Outerlimits a shortened 40' Hustler?
2. Is the 42' Outlerlimits a descaled 50' Hustler?
3. Is the new multi-step bottom Outerlimits (allegedly coming soon) really a 34' Hustler blown up?
I like Outerlimits powerboats. Is this correct or is it flawed thinking? Paul Fiore designer, Mike Fiore builder?

Old 09-18-2001, 01:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is some fun reading .

Quick Reply: Great Moments In V Bottom History

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.