Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do Cigs have superior resale value? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124807-do-cigs-have-superior-resale-value.html)

BAJA WILL 03-14-2006 08:46 AM

Re: Do Cigs have superior resale value?

I think their are two ways to consider the depreciation of Cigs (or any boat), first being the actual dollar amount say 60K after 0ne year v.s. the actual percentage depreciation say 15%. Then you need to compare that to other boat mfgs,

Just my opinion but they don't seem to be that much off percentage wise than others, yea they depreciate more dollar wise but then again they cost allot more to start with,

As for the argument of resale value, yea if you are really taking that into consideration you shouldn't even buy a new boat :eek: :drink:

WILL

GLH 03-14-2006 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by CAP071
Well there is a ton for sale. 104 on OSO alone

This site is the best place to advertise a Cigarette.

When I sold my Cafe the calls I got and eventually the buyer came all from the OSO ad save for one or two from Speedwake. None from Boat Trader.

The other Cig I sold I got calls and PM even before I talked of selling it.

You have the best concentration of financially viable purchaser here for these kinds of boats.

WildWarrior 03-14-2006 09:26 AM

I think when well maintained, they are a great value used.

They are just over built right down to the bolster attachments,their hulls and fittings will take way more than our bodies can absorb in all conditions.

My 97 Gun looks and rides like a newer boat, not a rattle, loose wire,rip,dropped head liner,missing or loose part on her.

I have many friends with other go fast manufactured 2000 + rigs running the same speeds and in the same water and they are slowly falling apart and look way older than my 1997 Gun.

lets put the windscreen and half the interior back together, we see it every week end.

As Cigarette is not the only well built boat, they do hold together exceptionally well and I believe hold their value for more than their mystique!

epeek 03-14-2006 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=GLH]I have made money on all Cigarettes I have owned.

I have lost money on the Fountain I have owned.[/QUOTE
Is that because the 1 Cig you bought & sold,you bought
used at a steal.......and your Fountain you purchased new?
And if thats true doesn't that mean someone got beat
up pretty bad on that Cig ?

epeek 03-14-2006 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by fazznick
I agree. I feel that they level off quicker than most boats. The early 90's cigs selling for half of their original value is pretty good in my opinion (of course a lot of them look as good as 04's). I just wish my car would hold that kind of value. :)

But isnt that true of most performence boats? Most mid
90's 35 Fountains are selling for around 65-70k
about half their new purchase price. Same with
Formula.

Downtown42 03-14-2006 01:10 PM

Sept 1998: 1993 35 Lightning paid 88k

May 2005: 1993 35 Lighning sold for 75k

I can live with this. And it was a great boat with minimal probs.

pm203 03-14-2006 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by CBR
Yep on the gladiator..how many people want a big boat with no cabin? You can't cruise that boat and overnight at an out of the way anchorage.

I am surprised the used ones as worth as much as they are. Plus, you KNOW they have been beat on very hard.

Are you saying that Gladiators are driven harder and abused more than other types of boats? That doesn,t seem to make sense. Gladiators were always less expensive than Topguns , new or pre-owned. Bottom line is that the Gladiator is an awsome boat to drive. Yes the "no cabin" thing might stop someone from buying one, but, personally for me, as I have heard on this board before "I dont need no stinkin cabin". :D

The Menace 03-14-2006 01:34 PM

The Gladiator is a special purpose boat. It obviously was designed with poker runs and speed in mind. A Gladiator vs. a TG is almost as different as a Corvette vs. a Porsche Cayenne.

masher44 03-14-2006 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Sept 1998: 1993 35 Lightning paid 88k

May 2005: 1993 35 Lighning sold for 75k

I can live with this. And it was a great boat with minimal probs.

2003 29 Beak bought brand new for 93K in Feb. '03

Sold for 82,500 in May of 05 with 125 hours.

Lucky Strike Jr 03-14-2006 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by CBR
Yep on the gladiator..how many people want a big boat with no cabin? You can't cruise that boat and overnight at an out of the way anchorage.

I am surprised the used ones as worth as much as they are. Plus, you KNOW they have been beat on very hard.

How can you say that? So ALL Gladiators have been beat on?

I have a friend on here who had the cleanest Gladiator in existence. He was not hard on the boat at all. You can't say all Gladiators have been beat on.

Yes, Gladiators are much cheaper than TG's new and used. As pm203 said he could have bought a new one in '02 for $155k. A clean '02 pleasure Gladiator with no stories today will bring 130-140k. So, four years later you sell the boat for 25k less than you paid, not bad!

As for who wants a big boat with no cabin? More people than you think. Not everyone wants to sleep on their boat. I wouldn't sleep on a boat if it had a cabin. On a Gladiator, you have quite a bit of storage where the cabin would be.