Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stereo Guys: amp question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124838-stereo-guys-amp-question.html)

fund razor 03-14-2006 10:10 AM

Re: Stereo Guys: amp question

You can run what you have in series and be fine, if you want.

if you run them in parallel you will turn your 4 ohm load into a two ohm load and that starts to get kind of low. Your amp will put out more current but it will also have more THD. THEN your amp might live a shorter life. :D

fund razor 03-14-2006 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by cherrycobalt262
I just purchase yesterday 3 complete sets of components (Polk Audio)

I love those. They sound great.

Have two sets.

Boomer35 03-14-2006 10:13 AM

Thanks FR,

im getting such a good deal on this amp i think it is worth the shot, i dont see why it wont work but i wanted to get some advise before i pulled the trigger, will this set up make the amp more likely to cut out or over heat

rainmn 03-14-2006 10:17 AM

You didn't mention if all 4 speakers are in the cockpit, or if 1 pair is in the cabin. If it's the latter, you might still want fader control, which you won't have if you run the speakers in series or parallel.
If they are all in the cockpit, I can't see why you would need the fader.

Boomer35 03-14-2006 10:20 AM

cockpit

fund razor 03-14-2006 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Boomer35
Thanks FR,

im getting such a good deal on this amp i think it is worth the shot, i dont see why it wont work but i wanted to get some advise before i pulled the trigger, will this set up make the amp more likely to cut out or over heat

You want to make sure that it is vented ok... but running at 4 ohms is within normal specs.

Have fun. Good luck!

Reckless32 03-14-2006 10:41 AM

Geeez, what happened to just plain ole plug and play. Now ya gotta be a friggin rocket scientist to hook up a stereo. :eek:

UNSANE 03-14-2006 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Reckless32
Geeez, what happened to just plain ole plug and play. Now ya gotta be a friggin rocket scientist to hook up a stereo. :eek:

Plug and Play???? That's sooooo 1900's :D I would recommend a 4 channel, just for the extra control, just in case you want to fade between front and rear. I'll look up some stuff for you later on today and get back to you.

UNSANE 03-14-2006 02:36 PM

Here are a couple of matches with decent prices. (these are MSRP's pulled from JBL's website)
JBL P300.4 $525 makes about 125 watts per channel at 4 ohms
JBL GTO 75.4 II $380 makes about 104 watts per channel at 4 ohms.

Hope this helps.

Audiofn 03-14-2006 02:54 PM

Parralell halfs the ohm load, series doubles the ohm load. Of the two options that I am seeing in front of me I would parrallel them as series you tend to loose a lot of your bottom end and can have HUGE phasing issues. Like everyone else said I would go with a 4 ch amp OR get one that is rated to 2 ohm stereo. While this one is not it will probably run for a while the way that you are talking as long as you do not hammer on it.

Jon