Notices

Stereo Guys: amp question

Old 03-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Stereo Guys: amp question

Originally Posted by ActiveFun
Buy a 4 channel 80 watt rms amp, or get 2-2channel 80watts amps. If your radio has front and rear RCA output jacks, use the fader in your radio. If not, get a separate fader. I wouldn't start splitting channels...ohms...series...etc.. Thats a pain in the ass. Im not sure if you can still purchase separate fader controls. Im old school. Sony used to make one. You may have to use a equalizer with a fader control, but I could be wrong.
I disagree, if you don't need fader control like 4 identical cockpit speakers(which is what I always have) then there is no need for a 4 channel amp. In fact, I prefer using a good 2 channel amp and running 2 speakers in parallel to each channel. Simple and more FREE power!

I have seen big systems, with several speakers, run off a single rockford fosgate amp and sound great!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by noboat
I disagree, if you don't need fader control like 4 identical cockpit speakers(which is what I always have) then there is no need for a 4 channel amp. In fact, I prefer using a good 2 channel amp and running 2 speakers in parallel to each channel. Simple and more FREE power!

I have seen big systems, with several speakers, run off a single rockford fosgate amp and sound great!
Ive never heard of any systems that just sounded perfect out of the box without needing to fade, or make adjustments other than in a home with a serious hifi in a controlled environment. We're not talking about Krell and Wilson Watt's in a controlled atmosphere here. There is wind a noise to deal with, engines, etc. Running high power in amps with 2ohm, messing with series and parallel connections makes me nervous. I would rather see a 2 two channel amps with 2- 4 or 8 ohm speakers, whatever matches, or 1-4 channel amp with matching impedence.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Registered

Ive never heard of any systems that just sounded perfect out of the box without needing to fade, or make adjustments other than in a home with a serious hifi in a controlled environment. We're not talking about Krell and Wilson Watt's in a controlled atmosphere here. There is wind a noise to deal with, engines, etc. Running high power in amps with 2ohm, messing with series and parallel connections makes me nervous. I would rather see a 2 two channel amps with 2- 4 or 8 ohm speakers, whatever matches, or 1-4 channel amp with matching impedence.
What I was saying is several speakers were hooked to a single 2-channel rockford fosgate amp. There were several other speakers driven off several other amps as well. I've seen it many times.

As far as fade, why would you need to use a fader in a boat cockpit with 4 identical speakers? I don't need to. I guess that is personal choice.

I always run my amps in 2 ohms, I like using the free power! I did buy a 4 channel amp this last time, but that's because the Infinity 6.5s I bought are 2 ohm speakers!

Not saying I'm right and you're wrong, just different opinions.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know why I would want to be able to fade; say you got some hot girlies in the back and they want to keep listening to the Best of ABBA or some CaCa like that I would want to turn down the front speakers to at least minimize the pain!!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Registered

What I was saying is several speakers were hooked to a single 2-channel rockford fosgate amp. There were several other speakers driven off several other amps as well. I've seen it many times.

As far as fade, why would you need to use a fader in a boat cockpit with 4 identical speakers? I don't need to. I guess that is personal choice.

I always run my amps in 2 ohms, I like using the free power! I did buy a 4 channel amp this last time, but that's because the Infinity 6.5s I bought are 2 ohm speakers!

Not saying I'm right and you're wrong, just different opinions.
I may be conservative, but especially on a boat. None of the amps are desiged to run in 2 ohms. If you run in smaller ohms, it tends to make the amp work harder than it was designed for, therfore generating more heat and trying to pull more voltage thru the cables. I may be way to conservative, but #1 its not good for the amp, and #2, Im afraid of a fire. Why not run a 2 or 4 channel amp, for 2 or four speakers?? If you want that extra power, just purchase some extra watts without changing the load. In regard to a fader?? I guess depending on where your seats are in relation to your speakers, mine have never worked out that its just perfect and you didn't need to fade.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Registered

I may be conservative, but especially on a boat. None of the amps are desiged to run in 2 ohms. If you run in smaller ohms, it tends to make the amp work harder than it was designed for, therfore generating more heat and trying to pull more voltage thru the cables. I may be way to conservative, but #1 its not good for the amp, and #2, Im afraid of a fire. Why not run a 2 or 4 channel amp, for 2 or four speakers?? If you want that extra power, just purchase some extra watts without changing the load. In regard to a fader?? I guess depending on where your seats are in relation to your speakers, mine have never worked out that its just perfect and you didn't need to fade.
Like I said, just a difference of opinions. All my amps have always been 2 ohm stable. Yes, they run a little warmer but as long as you aren't straining them you'll be fine. My new Infinitys are 2 ohm speakers and many subs out there have dual voice coils. Think there's a reason for that? To run the amps at 2ohms and get the FREE power!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Registered

Like I said, just a difference of opinions. All my amps have always been 2 ohm stable. Yes, they run a little warmer but as long as you aren't straining them you'll be fine. My new Infinitys are 2 ohm speakers and many subs out there have dual voice coils. Think there's a reason for that? To run the amps at 2ohms and get the FREE power!
Well, "straining" is telling it lightly. But if you have 2 ohm speaker, than there is no problem. I didnt know those were out on the market.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Registered

Well, "straining" is telling it lightly. But if you have 2 ohm speaker, than there is no problem. I didnt know those were out on the market.
Yep, I can't wait to hear these!

Infinity Kappa 63.71
Old 03-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Registered

With only 80 watts, I should be able to hear them in NY
Old 03-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Registered

With only 80 watts, I should be able to hear them in NY
I hope so!

Quick Reply: Stereo Guys: amp question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.