Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stereo Guys: amp question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124838-stereo-guys-amp-question.html)

rainmn 03-15-2006 09:53 PM

Re: Stereo Guys: amp question

Years ago, when I was an installer, I went to Rockford Fosgate's "school" in AZ. At the time, they only made two channel amps, from 20 x 2 (Punch 40) up to 1,500 x 2 (Power 3,000). When the shop I worked at first picked up the line, we weren't sure how to make the best use of their products until some of us went to the school they had.
After that, it all made sense. They had demo cars running 28 speakers off of a single 2 channel amp. Lots of passive crossovers needed to do that, but it rocked. One of the demos (I think it was a 4-Runner) had 28 speakers, and had a Punch 40 and a Power 1,000. It would run off of either amp via a toggle switch. They cranked it up off of the Punch 40 and everyone was beyond impressed. You should have seen the looks on everyone's face when they switched it over to the 1,000.....priceless.
The most I ever did off of a single 2 channel amp after that was 16 speakers in a customer's car. If I am remembering right, it was Vinnie from Naughty by Nature's.

onesickpantera 03-15-2006 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by rainmn
Years ago, when I was an installer, I went to Rockford Fosgate's "school" in AZ. At the time, they only made two channel amps, from 20 x 2 (Punch 40) up to 1,500 x 2 (Power 3,000). When the shop I worked at first picked up the line, we weren't sure how to make the best use of their products until some of us went to the school they had.
After that, it all made sense. They had demo cars running 28 speakers off of a single 2 channel amp. Lots of passive crossovers needed to do that, but it rocked. One of the demos (I think it was a 4-Runner) had 28 speakers, and had a Punch 40 and a Power 1,000. It would run off of either amp via a toggle switch. They cranked it up off of the Punch 40 and everyone was beyond impressed. You should have seen the looks on everyone's face when they switched it over to the 1,000.....priceless.
The most I ever did off of a single 2 channel amp after that was 16 speakers in a customer's car. If I am remembering right, it was Vinnie from Naughty by Nature's.

Yep, exacly what I was talking about! Those old Punch amps were amazing! I still have an one pushing a couple 8" subs under my back seat of my truck. I have the gain turned up about 1/8. :D

Boomer35 03-18-2006 04:57 PM

ok-

ive got a rockford punch 500 amp, not turning on, know the lead and ground are good, remote wire from deck is in, tried it in buddies car and still didnt work, but sparks when i connect the power, (minor spark) worked last i remember, troubeshoot me.......