Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Center of Gravity on boats?? Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124846-center-gravity-boats-question.html)

BAJA WILL 03-14-2006 09:36 AM

Center of Gravity on boats?? Question

OK so their are many Mfg's staggering their motors in the engine compartment to better the CG like Fountain, Cig, OL, I am sue their are others ( and getting great results)>>> OK so my question is if you replace a current set up with the new Ilmors they save you about 600lbs, wouldn't that better the CG on a regular side by side set up?? Achieve the same results if not better?? Just looking for insight and opinions

WILL :D

Stormrider 03-14-2006 10:07 AM

Re: Center of Gravity on boats?? Question

You will be reducing the weight in the rear, but staggering sets your COG forward and lower in the boat.
It also gets your dives lower and closer together.
Regardless, it would be a MAJOR job to change a standard config to staggard, so I'd take the weight reduction anyday!!!

BAJA WILL 03-14-2006 11:00 AM

Stormrider,

Great point, I forgot about staggering being able to put the drives closer. However my point is by making the rear lighter that will move COG farther forward? Thus improving performance?? Just things to ponder.

Stormrider 03-14-2006 11:08 AM

yea, i'd agree w/ you on that.
You could always add some lead forward if the boat needed it.

I think lighter would be better anyway.

monstaaa 03-14-2006 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the less wetted surface the better. every boat is different. tough to make that call. one thing for sure a good c,g will run the boat pretty darn straight without x-cess trim,,,, like this, therefore ending up with very efficient speed.

Strip Poker 388 03-14-2006 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by monstaaa
the less wetted surface the better. every boat is different. tough to make that call. one thing for sure a good c,g will run the boat pretty darn straight without x-cess trim,,,, like this, therefore ending up with very efficient speed.

What is considered a good CG and where should it be ?

monstaaa 03-15-2006 07:10 AM

low, inside, and pending step locations and bottom configuration avg. 70/30 split

CigDaze 03-15-2006 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
OK so their are many Mfg's staggering their motors in the engine compartment to better the CG like Fountain, Cig, OL, I am sue their are others ( and getting great results)>>> OK so my question is if you replace a current set up with the new Ilmors they save you about 600lbs, wouldn't that better the CG on a regular side by side set up?? Achieve the same results if not better?? Just looking for insight and opinions

Quick answer, yes the CG will move forward. How this effects the performance, it's impossible to say.

Strip Poker 388 03-15-2006 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by monstaaa
low, inside, and pending step locations and bottom configuration avg. 70/30 split

Bo on my 388 ..Hustler said it was at the back of the front seat.When I tested it It is about the sterring wheel.Good or bad??

Rob :D