Notices

Portable Generators

Old 03-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Portable Generators

Originally Posted by excursion
Some maybe intrested:
I also have now finished mounting my Honda 2000 in the engine compartment permantlly, will have pics shortly, works very well and dont have to worry about it falling of in the middle of the night or rain. Simply start and enjoy.
WOW, may I get you name and info for a life insurance policy? I think using an air cooled engine in a bilge is just short of stupid. Dangerous at the min. If the CG ever inspected your boat it would fail. That unit is NOT ignition protected and venting would not be good.
THINK THIS THROUGH REAL GOOD PLEASE.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:41 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by scottc
..................THINK THIS THROUGH REAL GOOD PLEASE.
You haven't met James have you????
Old 03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Registered

You dont know all the precautions I have gone thru to make this work,
1 Have a bilge blower on the unit for fresh air.
2 Installed exhaust thru transom
3 Overtemp alarm and gauge on exhaust
4 Carbonmanoxide detector's 2

It will work just fine, talked with several people in the industry and everyone has OK the final install.

It has already done several test run for over 4 hours at a time and NO problems......Trust me I would not do anything to put anyone's life at danger.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Registered

What about sparks and the possiblty of gas fumes getting ignited?
Not to mention an easy out for you insurance company not to pay if needed.

To much risk for me, so good luck.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Registered

The honda does have a closed igintion system and spark arestor. Basically the same as any other Marine Generator has the only thing different is the water to air cooled process.
I appriciate you being concerned.

I got the idea from a custom boat manufactor in CA that has done something similar. I took the extra steps though.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys if you run a portable genset overnight make sure you have Carbon Monoxide detectors. There were about three deaths contributed last year to running paortables on their swimplatforms and having a shift of wind cary the exhaust into the cabin. Do a search on boat US website about the installs.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Registered

What I dont understand is where do you people sleep that doesnt have shorepower? Maybe in a bay or something a night or two a yr. but do you really need ac for it? 99.9% for most i know is at marinas, clubs, places w/ shore power.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Registered

Yes, I have TWO carbonmanoxide detectors in my cabin, both cant fail at the same time. That is why I like what I have done, it cna be remove very easy and taken out in about 10 minutes. I dont have to worry about it bouncing around in the cabin or cockpit while under way. Yes we do stay on our boat many times just in a nice quiet cove.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Portable Generators

Originally Posted by kr1276
Go with the Eu2000. It will run a home refrigerator, fan, some lights so it can also be used as backup at home. The 1000 will not run a home fridge and so there is not much of a market for them. They are usually purchased by arts and crafts people to operate dremels, lights, or a tv at the shows. We sell 100 to 1 2000's vs the 1000. Also there is a huge market for resale on 2000's.
This is exactly how I used my Honda EU2000...plus running a TV!...all on the Econo Mode! Oil changes are VERY critical on other generators every 24 hours or so of running time, or they blow up(you think I'm kidding). Many quarts of oil is also needed. Not the Honda EU2000. After the initial breakin oil change, it only needs to be changed every 100 hours after that! AND...an oil change consists of less than a half quart of oil TOTAL!!! Not to mention, you can hardly hear them running. I will be buying a second one for next hurricane season.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:51 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Several in our club are using the EU2000, runs their A/C units without any issue. The largest is a 35' Sonic, and he runs several other things at the same time.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."

Quick Reply: Portable Generators

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.