Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need Legal Advice or is this a scam (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124879-need-legal-advice-scam.html)

Fountain38SC 03-15-2006 08:15 AM

Re: Need Legal Advice or is this a scam

Originally Posted by Iggy
Any real letter like that would not come by e-mail. It would be sent registered and certified mail with signiture required.

Great you just started the next nigerian scam.

Iggy 03-15-2006 08:25 AM

Great you just started the next nigerian scam.
Funny.
I doubt anyone would spend the bucks to mail a scam letter to a specific name address, let alone the costs in mailing it.
Besides, if they did, you would have their address and then the Feds could get involed for mail fraud. Too risky.
The internet is a wide open area. Like the wild west, little supervision or policing and easy to get away with scams.

Wobble 03-15-2006 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Iggy
It's a scam alright.
My ex got one last weekend. It was supposedly from some lawyer in England saying he had 7.5M Pounds Sterling waiting for her.
All he needed was proof of her identity. There were two links at the bottom of the letter for her to go to. Told her not to click on either of them. Her identy could be stolen in seconds.
I did forget that lawyers in the UK are called Barristers. Should have been my first clue.

Any real letter like that would not come by e-mail. It would be sent registered and certified mail with signiture required.

Soliciters and Barristers, generally the Soliciters work the lower courts and engage a Barrister if the case moves to a higher court (Crown Court etc.)

Shanghied Again 03-15-2006 12:02 PM

Beware of anything from Lagos, Nigeria and overseas. The big ones are you won a lottery, Some uncle died in a plane crash, anything to do with oil and oil drilling, My relative died and I have millions of dollars that I can't get so I need your help. This must be kept confidential TOTAL SCAMS
They will ask you for a bank account were they can deposit the money, then the bleeding begins and once they get you on the hook they will suck you out of thousands of dollars. This happened to one of my freinds and all the papers looked legit even right down to the bank of nigeria, like I told my freind walkaway!!!

Iggy 03-15-2006 01:05 PM

Solicitors and Barristers, generally the Solicitors work the lower courts and engage a Barrister if the case moves to a higher court (Crown Court etc.)
I knew that, just couldn't remember it. :rolleyes:
Thanks.

The big ones are you won a lottery, Some uncle died in a plane crash, anything to do with oil and oil drilling, My relative died and I have millions of dollars that I can't get so I need your help.
The ex had one about a lottery, but she knew damn well she didn't buy a ticket in a foreign lottery. The letter she received a couple days ago told the story of long lost family members dieing in a plane crash and her being the only traceable relative.

Pismo10 03-15-2006 01:16 PM

It would be fun to play it out a little, you know get them thinking they have a fish on and then watch them squirm when you send them nothing.......