Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Let's Talk Air Conditioning (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/125024-lets-talk-air-conditioning.html)

pwrbotr 05-22-2006 11:58 AM

Re: Let's Talk Air Conditioning

I have a 353 Fastech and just installed a 5k Mermaid. I think my expectations were a little high far the unit since my cabin does not cool down that fast. My Honda 2k seems to run it just fine except when I have the battery charger turned on.

Shah Mat 05-22-2006 12:15 PM

Anyone have any issues with noise or vibrations while sleeping at night?

t500hps 05-22-2006 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
Anyone have any issues with noise or vibrations while sleeping at night?

My 5K btu sits right under my butt when sleeping and didn't even know it was running under there. (and I was SOBER!) I was a little anal in making sure it was mounted very securely though. Haven't run it when it was real hot out yet, but it cools down nicely so far.

Anarchy Powerboats 05-22-2006 01:08 PM

I can sell you any of the Webasto product line Clay but it's not cheap, it's good. The FCF 9k BTU has reverse cycle heat and a remote along with 3 way windings and a whole slew of other goodies. I can sell a DIY kit for around 2k and it has a 2 year FULL warranty. I could say alot about my competition butI prefer to let Webasto products do the talking for me in their performance.

UNSANE 05-22-2006 06:19 PM

What would be recommended for a 29' Fountain cabin? I just need something to take the edge off. I do have shore power with an outlet in the cabin, battery charger and outlets in the engine compartment. If I overnight, I would most likely be at the springs (72 degree water temp) so I don't need anything too big. Also how much of a generator as well? I want to be able to take this stuff out if I want to go play cowboy in 4 or 5 foot water as well.

enticer 05-22-2006 08:53 PM

The intake is the return.....as long as you have enough supply and return you will not have any problems. That is the key. not enough supply or return .... the unit will have a tendency to freeze up. I had to revamp my new boat A/C with more supply air because they crushed the duct when installing the hanging closet. After chewing out the manufactures a$$, they moved (to under the berth)(with 2 supplies) the A/C unit.....yeah now they move it :mad:

UNSANE
Being that you are in Florida...I would lean towards a 7,000 BTU unit

Shorgasm 05-22-2006 09:04 PM

Mine's a Cruiseaire 7k unit...little 2k Honda hums away no problem.I run my 10amp charger& lights also but no biggie,