Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/125074-why.html)

Donzi Corleone 03-18-2006 07:14 AM

Re: Why?

Amazes me as to how the smaller boat is clueless as to the proximity of the CG vessel...You can see at the point of collision he doesn't even see the boat yet, still looking straight ahead.

CAP071 03-18-2006 07:35 AM

I haven't found any record of this crash yet. I asked around but can't come up with anything as of yet :rolleyes:

Just glad I wasn't filling out that report :D

Pantera1 03-18-2006 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Speed2Lead
Amazes me as to how the smaller boat is clueless as to the proximity of the CG vessel...You can see at the point of collision he doesn't even see the boat yet, still looking straight ahead.

Agreed ..they are looking over at the large yacht.. Nonetheless , no excuse for the CG vessel not to stand down ..Id be ripping those coasties a new one if it were me climbing out of the water

AIR TIME 03-18-2006 08:27 AM

stuff like that, is why I am always looking around. to see where I plan on going ,whats to my sides ,and in back of me. so if a OL is coming from behind at 120mph I'll know someones coming :D The cg was wrong on that one :mad:

glassdave 03-18-2006 08:43 AM

if you watch the vid closely the coast guard boat is turning hard to port just before the collision, to little to late though. you have to watch the orientation of the larger boat. i dont believe the CG boat was holding its course dead on. it still could have been avoided though.

Smarty 03-18-2006 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Geoghegan
Just a couple of observations:
The "Speedboat" had the right of way! This is basic "rules of the Road". :rolleyes:
A 15' tri-hull with a Chrysler can hardley be considered a speedboat. :mad:
Did the Coast Guard issue itself a "ticket"?? :eek:

You are correct. In the early 90's we were on Barnegat Bay after a a radar shoot-out. We were traveling south on the ICW and the NJ Marine Police we crossing the ICW heading west towards Bayville, we had to slow down, come off of plane in order to let them pass in front of our bow in order to avoid a collision. The NJ Marine Police officer had issue that we did not come off plane sooner, and decide to do a u-turn, and a spot safety check. We were not issued a ticket, but I was informed by the officer that he had the right of way, and we were to yield, which we did anyway.

CAP071 03-18-2006 09:06 AM

Smarty do you still boat in Barnegat Bay area?

Von Bongo 03-18-2006 09:07 AM

that video was on TV a few weeks ago. I don't remember the exact circumstances. the area the CG was in was possibly a recovery area and the boat was a CG reserve carrying a local TV camera crew.

CG was sued and lost largley due to the video.

CAP071 03-18-2006 09:09 AM

Is it the Coast Guard or the Coast Guard Aux. I wonder

Smarty 03-18-2006 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by CAP071
Smarty do you still boat in Barnegat Bay area?

No, we only used to go there for the radar shoot-outs, and for the races in the Bay. We boat mostly in the northern Chesapeake, and the Delaware river now. For many yeares we would put-in at Kent's Marina in Mays Landing and take a ride to Brigintine.

I do like Barnegat Bay, but trailering up route 70 is a pain in the ass, as compared to the other locations that I mentioned.