Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/125153-experience-pulling-40-boat.html)

scottc 03-18-2006 04:04 PM

Re: Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat

Byrd. I tend to agree with you.
First, what is the weight of the boat and trailer? What is the Gross Towing weight of the truck? And then there is the hitch rating. I tow a 40' Formula, an old heavy 402sr1 (9500 lbs dry plus maybe 1500lbs for the trailer) Add gas @250 gals @ 7lbs per gal, then all my junk. I will go to the scales to see what the real numbers are, but I have the right truck to pull it. I only go about 1/2 mile round trip to the ramp. Most hitches are rated for 10,000lbs wc, maybe 12,000 max. Are you will to chance loosing everything for stupidity? If so more power to you just stay away from me and my friends please. Your truck might be able to tow a tractor trailer but would you? Better yet, would you follow someone who is doing this?

Again please be carefull and look at the numbers.

scottc 03-18-2006 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by devastation
I was wondering what a dully was :D

A dual rear tire truck usually min rated at one ton load rating in the bed, I don't know the tow rating but higher that the 2500 or 3/4 ton for sure. Most say 350 or 3500 on it some where.

Spine Tingler 03-18-2006 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Byrdman
I am in shock...as usual that all you fine people tell him it is ok to pull a 40 plus cat....or anything for that matter with a single wheel truck.....get it together ...it is not ok to pull it with a single wheel truck....bunch of corner cutting cheap skates that have no mechanical aptitude for towing....and you have the balls to give advice like you know what your talking about...if you guys can afford the boats.......you can afford the truck.....isn't a 2500 hd just like a pos 3/4 ton used to be???.....maybe I am wrong.....but it is not a dually....I don't want to hear it either!!!! :rolleyes:

CORNER CUTTER, CHEAP SKATE? WOW! ...................

Andy01 03-18-2006 04:23 PM

For you guys that say "you need dual rear tires" should really look at the specs on a 3/4 HD Chevy and 1 Ton HD Chevy then give your advice. If the boat and trailer come in under 15,000 pounds you will have no problems towing that boat. If over then you will have to figure something else out. Just for the record in 2002 I owned a 2500 HD 2wd short bed. It had the highest tow rating in the entire GM line up other then a C4500. The daul rear tires only raise the pay load cap. on the truck and depending on the truck lower the towing cap.

Andy

Andy01 03-18-2006 04:31 PM

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

To the jackass that said "cheap" and the other Mechanic guy that posted above that "knows" how to tow. Looks like the two trucks are pretty close even with the daul tire.......... but the single tire is HIGHER!

MarkSmith 03-18-2006 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Andy01
For you guys that say "you need dual rear tires" should really look at the specs on a 3/4 HD Chevy and 1 Ton HD Chevy then give your advice. If the boat and trailer come in under 15,000 pounds you will have no problems towing that boat. If over then you will have to figure something else out. Just for the record in 2002 I owned a 2500 HD 2wd short bed. It had the highest tow rating in the entire GM line up other then a C4500. The daul rear tires only raise the pay load cap. on the truck and depending on the truck lower the towing cap.

Andy

No offense, you are missing the point. They are referring to safety and control. The Isuzu motor has plenty of power.

Duallies tow straight with more control on wheels from swaying.

Long bed trucks have a longer wheel base which keeps the truck driving straighter.

Andy01 03-18-2006 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by MarkSmith
No offense, you are missing the point. They are referring to safety and control. The Isuzu motor has plenty of power.

Long bed trucks have a longer wheel base which keeps the truck driving straighter.

Well the way I was reading it, it looked as though some were saying a one ton would pull better. I own a 2005 2500 HD Duramax and a 2005 M2 Toter home. Both with a 10,000 trailer on the back drive straight and true. The toter stops a lot easier and you don't notice it when you take off but driving at 60 they seem to drive about the same at speed.

Andy

MarkSmith 03-18-2006 05:19 PM

You are right that a 3/4 and 1ton should tow the same. 60 is a very safe speed.

When I towed my boat with a single rear wheel, things got scary at 75. I was much more stable at 90 with my dually. Not that I would recommend it to anyone.

Flash e- make sure you have 2 safety straps holding the front of the boat down. My boat wanted to lift in the front the faster you went. This would cause the boat to bounce in the front.

Rick G 03-18-2006 05:37 PM

Guys I think that towing a 40+ foot boat weighting in excess of 10,000 lbs with a 3/4 ton truck is not very smart , The truck may pull it fine enough but the truck's brakes may not be rated to handle the weight and the stock hitch is probably not rated for anything over 10,000 lbs . the most important thing is if you tow more than the rated max your insurance coverage will not cover any claim you make or claim made against you . Also I think that in Canada and most US staes it is probably a traffic violation at the least . Your forty foot cat on the trailer complete with gear and fuel will probably weight close to 15,000 lbs which is the rated max for most duallies. Get yourself a F350 turbo disel and save yourself any the headaches you are headed for . Just my $ .02 .
Rick G.

Ike 03-18-2006 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by MarkSmith

EXACTLY!!!