Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat

Old 03-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat

Originally Posted by Andy01
http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

To the jackass that said "cheap" and the other Mechanic guy that posted above that "knows" how to tow. Looks like the two trucks are pretty close even with the daul tire.......... but the single tire is HIGHER!
Yea jackass.....ok....let me tell ya something buddy....I have owned many boats.....many tow vehicles...and I am on street everyother day with anywhere from 20 g to 50 g in tow....your not going to tell me what a 3/4 ton pick up can handle....I could care less what the tow specs are....they are all pushing the far out limits of the manufactures with total disregaurd for what really happens on the street...you do not have a clue what your talking about ....dually sir.....do you get it????....crappin freaks everywhere....
Old 03-18-2006, 07:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrdman
and you have the balls to give advice like you know what your talking about...
Not giving advise, just stating what works for me...
Old 03-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Andy01 no disrespect but dispite what the specs say when you are going around a corner with 15,000 lbs in tow and you need to stop or avoid a situation your properly rated 2500 will not give you the security or performance you will need for safety . In a cornering or panic stop situation the dual wheel application will always out perform two wheels . The question is how much risk do you want to take when you are towing a large boat on a major highway.
Rick g.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd say there are alot of other factors other than 'cheap skate blah blah" in not buying a dually, im not going to get into what ive towed, how its worked, and what i think, but man byrd, you got some issues with every towing forum out there, this used to be a page of opinion and advice, but lately OSO has been nothing more than a couple of computer confident bashers
Old 03-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Boomer35
i'd say there are alot of other factors other than 'cheap skate blah blah" in not buying a dually, im not going to get into what ive towed, how its worked, and what i think, but man byrd, you got some issues with every towing forum out there, this used to be a page of opinion and advice, but lately OSO has been nothing more than a couple of computer confident bashers
thats right....cheap skates....don't want to be bothered with dually....to big pain...does not look cool...wife can't use it...kids..shopping...garage...only good for boat...to hard to drive...whatever....you guys always got a excuse for towing with under sized stuff.....been doing it for years......but as you can see...I am not the only one telling it like it is....imagine that!
Old 03-18-2006, 09:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrdman
thats right....cheap skates....don't want to be bothered with dually....to big pain...does not look cool...wife can't use it...kids..shopping...garage...only good for boat...to hard to drive...whatever....you guys always got a excuse for towing with under sized stuff.....been doing it for years......but as you can see...I am not the only one telling it like it is....imagine that!
LMAO!!

I was worried you were going to have a heart attack at some point during this thread...
Old 03-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.. Got a bunch of stuff covered. Yes. Just because you are withing factory or registration weights. You are technically ok. But. There is absolutely nothing wrong with over compensating when hauling. A dually will always stop better and handle corners and sway better. Even a level load will sway when you get a crosswind. The insurance stuff is important also. Make sure every aspect of your tow setup is properly rated. From the hitch, reciever, and ball. Check the load rating on all of them. Im willing to bet people have under rated balls or recievers and dont even know it. The same size ball can have different tow ratings due to shank size.

Important part here folks. Sit up and pay attention. If you are overweight when towing and get stopped by DOT, you WILL face serious fines. You will also be looking at the dilemma of dropping the trailer where ever you are at and coming back with a vehicle that is properly rated to tow it. If not, you could be looking at getting arrested. The other thing. If you are involved in an accident while towing a trailer that is overweight and someone is killed. Even if the accident is not your fault. You will be looking at manslaugther charges. They will not play around on this one. You are responsible for what you are towing and that its not over the limit of your vehicle. Claiming ignorance will not work. And like mentioned before. Take into account the added weight of Gas, water and other stuff. Hope this helps you make your decision.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:17 AM
Registered

Flash E, In just my opinion, Ive driven over the road for 29 years and have seen alot of bad accidents. A dually can be a pain in the gas around town but you get used to it . I dont have a boat anywhere near what you have but i have a dually.Anytime you can have the added safety for basically pennies you will be far better off. I have allmost 3 million miles driveing with no accidents, but i have seen so many people get hurt by nothaveing the proper equipment or wrestleing units down the road in a bad crosswind because the dont have the proper tow unit. At least you were on hear asking questions so evidently you had your doubts. Did you happen to think about what would happen if you blew a steering or drive tire when your pulling this boat. Safety really doesnt cost you anything, if you can do this in a resonable manner.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:12 AM
Registered

Not to stir the pot here, You guys with trailers over 10K gross. Technically you should have a Commercial drivers license, really you need an "A" the same as a tractor trailer, you dont need the endorsements. Do you stop at weigh stations, keep log books? This has come up on other sites with regards to people towing goose neck trailers with equipment. Curious as to what you guys do?
Old 03-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Superboat Guy
Not to stir the pot here, You guys with trailers over 10K gross. Technically you should have a Commercial drivers license, really you need an "A" the same as a tractor trailer, you dont need the endorsements. Do you stop at weigh stations, keep log books? This has come up on other sites with regards to people towing goose neck trailers with equipment. Curious as to what you guys do?
You should check with your local weigh station admin. Not always needed. There are a lot of things that need to be met before you have to go that route. In maryland the limit is 36,000 lbs total combined weight. Also if you are reg as a person not comerical id and under 26,000 lbs gvw not needed. No towing for other people all equipment must be yours. I just spent a day with the state police and DOT people to get the total info.
Also, as I was told, anything over a set weight must stop at the scales but not required to be inspected. Most of the time they will not even chase you if you pass them but they have that right to. I think the limit is 10,001 or greater you have to stop.

Quick Reply: Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.