Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat

Notices

Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat

Old 03-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat

Rare Breed's set-up....
Attached Thumbnails Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-picture-13-007-small-.jpg   Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-picture-13-010-large-.jpg   Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-picture-13-004-large-.jpg  

Old 03-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except for the rating and Badging, a (Ford) F250, and F350 are indentical trucks.
I know it seems wrong, but check the Ford enthsiast's web sites, it is easily verified.
My F250 Excusion 7.3 PSD is a very strong truck and can tow a serious load from the power standpoint, BUT my old 6.5 Turbo Chevy Dually , even though the motor wasn't as strong, Towed like the Bomb!.
Mountain roads, heavy loads, it never even new there was a trailer behind it.

There is a bigger contact patch with a dually for pulling, turning , and braking which makes towing big loads feel really secure.

If you are serious about towing and want the safest rig, there is no comparison between DRW, (dual rear wheels) and (SRW) Single rear wheels.

I had a "weight Distributing Hitch" which cost about $400 for the racecar trailer and it pushed my tounge wt up 1/3rd higher and made the trailer feel even better balanced.

Something you guys might want to look into at your local hitch shop.

I pull throgh the Mountains fairly frequently. Since I now have a SRW Excursion, I notice the difference and miss the Dually and take it much easier in many places and situations that I would have never thought twice about in the Dually.

The Dually is safer, regardless what the numbers say.

Good Luck

Originally Posted by Byrdman
Yea jackass.....ok....let me tell ya something buddy....I have owned many boats.....many tow vehicles...and I am on street everyother day with anywhere from 20 g to 50 g in tow....your not going to tell me what a 3/4 ton pick up can handle....I could care less what the tow specs are....they are all pushing the far out limits of the manufactures with total disregaurd for what really happens on the street...you do not have a clue what your talking about ....dually sir.....do you get it????....crappin freaks everywhere....
Old 03-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
I'm amazed when these threads come up (not only this one!!!) and people start talking about......"Oh,the rig towed fine at 70, but at 90 it was all out of shape, that truck's a POS......."

Is it just me but honestly what are you doing towing a 15000lb load (even 10 000lbs) at 90mph!!!.......even 80!!.....I'm no expert but Id imagine the stock tow ratings of these trucks were probably conceived for legal road speeds.

And for the record, I tow at 60 - 65 mph.....maybe 70 tops downhill......I'll get there.....in one piece............doug

and if I saw someone pass me at 90mph towing a 42ft cat I'd probably pull over and wait for 15 minutes......i don't want to be around when it gets ugly.
I absolutely agree. Almost two years ago we were heading to Florida towing the boat on I-95. It was about 11pm and there was very little traffic on the road. We were rolling 70mph and got passed by a half ton single wheel pickup pulling a huge (30-40') travel trailer. As soon as the back of that trailer passed the front of our truck it started to sway all over the road. We immediately hit the brakes to get away from it. That truck and travel trailer went over and barrel rolled several times before coming to rest against the trees beside the highway. No joke! There was debris flying everywhere and a huge cloud of white smoke.

The trailer never broke loose from the truck, but it is needless to say that the truck and travel trailer were severely damaged. We pulled over just past where the wrecked truck and trailer were (we went past the wreck so we would be able to get out of there after the emergency crews arrived and blocked the road leading up to the accident). Several other cars and trucks stopped to help and the emergency crews were there very quickly. The occupants of the truck were cut up, but seemed to be OK overall. They were both conscious and sitting up when we got over to them. The female passenger fell out of an open window while the truck was rolling over, but was not struck by the vehicle. The driver and their dog rode out the whole thing. I was sure that the people in that truck were going to be dead. I guess they were lucky and somebody was watching out for them that night.

Bottom line is that these things do happen. I have seen it happen and it is not a pretty sight. Follow the weight limits of the vehicles and drive at a reasonable speed. Like "pullmytrigger" mentioned, I may not be the first to get there, but I WILL get there.

Last edited by Hot Duck; 03-20-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by unimog1300
“I will only be pulling it a few times a year about 200 miles each way and did not really want to get a dually truck for every day driving."

This sure sounds like me a year ago. Bought an '03 3/4 ton 4x4 6.0 liter Suburban to pull a 41' Apache 300 miles twice a yr. Truck was fine, plenty of power, but....when braking ...waiting for the trailer brakes to catch up. Going around a corner trying to slow down while the trailer wants to push you straight. Or going around a curve hitting a bump in the middle and unloading the rear of the Suburban and the trailer is driving the truck. This was all at 60 mph. I was always waiting for that bus load of nuns to pull out in front of me...My wife asked "are we safe?" and i said "kind of"...until we have to make an evasive maneuver. So we bought a '98 C5500 GMC with a Cat 3116, 4 spd Allison, a/c, ps, pb, tilt, am/fm, new Michelin's all the way around with new Alcoa's. It's GVW is 20,660. 4 wheel disc brakes and it stops RIGHT NOW!!! It was a 2 owner truck. It was a delivery truck originally. Guy we bought it from shortened the frame 3' and had a flatbed/5th wheel bed built for it. He pulled a 36' enclosed trailer with it. The engine oil was sampled all it's life and we ran the serial # thru Cat, everything was good. We paid $11,000 for the truck. All it needed was cleaned up. How old of a dually would I have had to get for that $$$? My wife said "you couldn't bury us both for that amount..." enough said!

Steve
Unimog 1300: I can relate to this. We had an F-450 when we got the Apache. The truck would pull the boat and stop it pretty well, but it was legally overweight. This boat and trailer combo weigh in at just over 21K pounds. Add to that 400 gallons of gas in the boat and 100 gallons of water in the trailer tanks and you have a load!

For that reason we sold the 450 and stepped up to a medium duty truck rated to tow just over 40K pounds. This thing handles the load really well and is actually much safer and much more comfortable to travel in. We originally wanted to go with a toterhome, but the extra length of a toter kinda killed that idea so we ended up going with this crew cab Pete from Texas Trucks. It was a 2 year old dealer demo, so we got a good deal on it.

To this day, I have not regretted the decision to upgrade the truck for a minute. I am sure that you are the same way. That truck you have will no doubt serve you well. It is worth the expense to be safe and legal. We bought the Pete originally for just towing the boat, but we actually use it quite a bit. We do use it to tow the boat, but we also use it to tow the car trailers. Again, we had always towed the cars around with a 1 ton pickup, but the bigger truck is just so much more comfortable and relaxing. We actually take the Pete on trips now as well with no trailer. It is great on the road and extremely comfortable.

Anyhow, congratulations on the new truck and thank you from all of us on the road for stepping up to the plate with the bigger truck to tow your stuff safely.
Attached Thumbnails Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-1.jpg   Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-3.jpg   Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-2.jpg  

Old 03-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by OU Want Some?!!
Rare Breed's set-up....
Wow. That is nice!!

One more story on this topic and then I will get off my soap box. A few years ago we were pulling the boat and got rear ended while making a right hand turn. This accident happened less than 10 miles from home (accidents can happen anywhere!!). Even though the accident was not our fault, the State Police still took all kinds of measurements of the truck and trailer and even weighed it with a set portable scales. They went over our rig very thoroughly. They even checked the rating of our tie down straps! Luckily we had everything in order and were 100% legal. If we weren't though, I have no doubt that they would have loaded me up with tickets and fines.

Here are a few pictures from the accident. Our tow vehicle was an F-450 and the boat was a Gladiator.
Attached Thumbnails Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-5.jpg   Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-7.jpg   Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-8.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 03-20-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Attached Thumbnails Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-11.jpg   Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-9.jpg   Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-10.jpg  

Old 03-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat

Beautiful set-ups.... "BIG PIMPIN"
Old 03-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Registered

if you are really not wanting to drive a dually as your everyday driver then have someone haul the boat for the times needs. many guys are correct in some of the posts and the dually will pull much better as well as be safer.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat-1001779.jpg  
Old 03-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by welladjusted
I've got power. I'm going to put 496HO's in it. Sound smart?

might be a bit much.... 377 Scorpions just to be safe
Old 03-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....I am really glad to see that I see other guys on this site know what is going on....I am much calmer now....I see some nice rigs....

Quick Reply: Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.